access to CD with joliet

Post by Martin Kutschke » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi!

Lately I came across a CD which seems to use the joliet fs, which means
that I only see those garbled filenames. Grr.

Is there a way to mount a joliet CD AND get correct file names? I am, or
rather a customer, using a Sun E250 wih Solaris 7.

Masi

access to CD with joliet

Post by Martin Pau » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Lately I came across a CD which seems to use the joliet fs, which means
> that I only see those garbled filenames. Grr.

> Is there a way to mount a joliet CD AND get correct file names? I am, or
> rather a customer, using a Sun E250 wih Solaris 7.

Not under Solaris.

You could zip it up on a Wintel machine and copy it to harddisk
on the Sun, or you send it back saying that it's broken.

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Tel: 01 4277 38803
        http://www.par.univie.ac.at/ | Fax: 01 4277 9388

access to CD with joliet

Post by Destroyed Lol » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> > Lately I came across a CD which seems to use the joliet fs, which
means
> > that I only see those garbled filenames. Grr.

> > Is there a way to mount a joliet CD AND get correct file names? I
am, or
> > rather a customer, using a Sun E250 wih Solaris 7.

> Not under Solaris.

> You could zip it up on a Wintel machine and copy it to harddisk
> on the Sun, or you send it back saying that it's broken.

> hth, mp.

An other solution sould be to mount it on a machine that understand
joliet format (M$-windaube, ...), share it and mount it on your solaris
box using NFS or Samba.

Arg, M$ like proprietary format, so we HATE M$ :-((((

--
The misspelling master is on the Web !

Amiga 500/000, 1000/010 et 4000/040, Sun UltraSparc 5,
ZX81, Sharp 1350 et 1401, Vax3100/40 et uVaxII ...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

access to CD with joliet

Post by Martin Kutschke » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> > > Is there a way to mount a joliet CD AND get correct file names? I
> > > am, or rather a customer, using a Sun E250 wih Solaris 7.

> > Not under Solaris.

> > You could zip it up on a Wintel machine and copy it to harddisk
> > on the Sun, or you send it back saying that it's broken.

> An other solution sould be to mount it on a machine that understand
> joliet format (M$-windaube, ...), share it and mount it on your solaris
> box using NFS or Samba.

Both of your answers occured to me. Problem is, I have not one, but 15
of such CDs. Zipping would be a pain in the ass, but NFS could be a
solution. Still it sucks that I have to copy GB of data across a
network.

Thanks,
Masi

access to CD with joliet

Post by Joerg Schilli » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>An other solution sould be to mount it on a machine that understand
>joliet format (M$-windaube, ...), share it and mount it on your solaris
>box using NFS or Samba.

>Arg, M$ like proprietary format, so we HATE M$ :-((((

Joliet is a really bad idea in general:

-       There is no way to find a relation between a ISO-9660 name and a Joliet
        name. If the file has a size, you may try to match the starting sector #
        but if the size in 0 it's impossible.

-       Joliet does not allow long filenames (it limits names to 64 chars).

-       Joliet does not allow all (usually used) characters in filenames.

        All code points between (00)(00) and (00)(1F), inclusive. (Control Characters)
             (00)(2A) '*'(Asterisk)
             (00)(2F) '/' (Forward Slash)
             (00)(3A) ':' (Colon)
             (00)(3B) ';' (Semicolon)
             (00)(3F) '?' (Question Mark)
             (00)(5C) '\' (Backslash)

        While '/' is not a real problem ;-) other characters may cause troube.

All notes above prevent you from doing reliable multi-session if the CD does
only contain Joliet but des not contain Rock Ridge attributes.

This is the answer to a commonly asked question is why can't I continue a
multisession CD that has been started on a Microsoft system using mkisofs.

--

1. Joliet CD access

Hi:

How do I mount a Joliet CD and get the full length filenames?  Using the
LinuxPPC distro, with 2.2 kernel I only get 8.3 names, which destroys most
of the .html  links.

Do I need an update to mount, or a later kernel?

Machine is 7200/90.

Thanks

Mike Jordan

2. CERN proxy server gets incomplete copies of big files

3. Burn RedHat 5.1 to CD - Will install read Joliet CD?

4. Hard Route To A Non-Routable Address

5. CD With Windows Joliet extensions

6. Where is the charter for comp.unix.solaris?

7. Can I install RH6 from a Joliet CD-ROM?

8. Load Balancing

9. Solaris7 and MS Joliet file format on CD

10. I am wodering if there is anything to read joliet CD's out there

11. How can I mount a Joliet CD

12. Joliet filesystems on CD

13. ISO-9660 "Joliet" CD-ROM?