point solaris print queue to win2000 print queue

point solaris print queue to win2000 print queue

Post by Olive » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:44:00

Hey all again,

I have users that telnet in to my server and i need to set up a couple of
queues to point to an nt server as i do not have direct printing rights to
the print server. any help appriceated

Solars 8 print queue to win2000 print queue

thanx in advance,

Oliver

point solaris print queue to win2000 print queue

Post by I.. » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 13:40:10

If the physical printer has a JetDirect card, you can use JetAdmin to
configure a local queue directly to the printer.

> Hey all again,

> I have users that telnet in to my server and i need to set up a couple of
> queues to point to an nt server as i do not have direct printing rights to
> the print server. any help appriceated

> Solars 8 print queue to win2000 print queue

> thanx in advance,

> Oliver

point solaris print queue to win2000 print queue

Post by Olive » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 14:04:41

like i said in the post I DO NOT have access to the print server. i need to
print via a windows 2000 server, i have been given the w2k server and queue
name i can print to but have no idea how to set up the print queue on solris
8. i dont really want to have to putsamba on it to do it, and even if i did
i am not sure how to any way.  any help or pinter to the doco would be
great,
thanx again all

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 14:17:18

> like i said in the post I DO NOT have access to the print server. i
> need to print via a windows 2000 server, i have been given the w2k
> server and queue name i can print to but have no idea how to set up
> the print queue on solris 8. i dont really want to have to putsamba on
> it to do it, and even if i did
> i am not sure how to any way.  any help or pinter to the doco would be
> great,
> thanx again all

You can either install Samba or you can convince the admin of the
server to install the BSD print spooler.  That print spooler is an
integral part of w2k and the admin thus should have no m*objections
to installing yet another part of his windows system.

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 14:20:46

>I have users that telnet in to my server and i need to set up a couple of
>queues to point to an nt server as i do not have direct printing rights to
>the print server. any help appriceated

>Solars 8 print queue to win2000 print queue

Either set up Samba, so Solaris can talk the Microsoft printer
(and file) sharing protocols, or install and configure the
Windows LPD (or Unix) Print Service.

I can't offer instrutins on how to set up Samba.  I've never
done it.  I haven't set up the LPD print service on Windows
machines either.  But the usual web sites should have the
steps.  (I'm guessing www.samba.org and the Microsoft Knowledgebase)

If you install and configure the Windows LPD service, you'll
want to test that it really is accepting print connections.
(it's pretty common to set it up, but it's not accepting
connections yet)  On the Solaris machine, type:

  telnet  win2000  515

Replace "win2000" with the IP address or hostname of the Win2000
box.  Look for the "Connected to ..." and "Escape character is ..."
messages.  If you get them, then your Win2000 box is accepting the
print connections.  If you get the "Connection refused" error, the
Win2000 box isn't ready yet.

After the Win2000 box is ready, the Solaris config is simple:

  lpadmin  -p solaris-name  -s win2000\!win-name

Replace "solaris-name" with the name you want to use for the printer
in your Solaris lp or lpr commands.  Replace "win2000" with the IP
address or hostname of the Win2000 box.  Replace "win-name" with the
name that the Windows LPD print service knows for the printer.
"Solaris-name" and "win-name" can be the same name, or they can be
different.  Solaris can handle it either way, as long as both names
are legal.  (e.g. no whitespace in the name)

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

point solaris print queue to win2000 print queue

how do i point the solaris print queue to the win2k print queue?

Post by martha starke » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 22:35:54

> Hey all again,

> I have users that telnet in to my server and i need to set up a couple of
> queues to point to an nt server as i do not have direct printing rights to
> the print server. any help appriceated

> Solars 8 print queue to win2000 print queue

> thanx in advance,

> Oliver

lpset -n system -a bsdaddr=<win2kservername>,<win2kqueuename>,Solaris
<localqueuename>

There are no spaces in the "-a bsdaddr=" section, but there is a space after
"Solaris".  The <localqueuename> can match the <win2kqueuename> if you want
OR it can be some other unique queuename.

This assumes that the lpd print server service is installed and turned on on
the Win2k side.  Windows NT did not install this service by default, but I'm
not sure about Win2k.

point solaris print queue to win2000 print queue

Post by Olive » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:49:13

yes thankyou all, specially Greg Andrews... all good now..... apart from
some formatting issues

> > how do i point the solaris print queue to the win2k print queue?

> Are you reading the responses at all?

> --
> Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
> Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
> +358-9-19158939  UNIX Dinosaur     / employs me, but my opinions are my
own.

> File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

1. Printing from Solaris to Novell print queues

I need to be able to print to a Novell print queue from our Sun Sparc 5
workstations.  We currently have a Novell server running Netware 4.1, and
our Sun Sparc's are running Solaris 2.4.   What needs to be configured on
the Novell side to allow me to print from Solaris?

Both Sun's and the Novell server are running TCP/IP and are in the same
subnet / domain.

Thanks,
Perry Minyard

* Perry Minyard   *  A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste.

* Floppy now,     *  "Her life was saved by rock and roll" - Lou Reed
* Hard later...   *  http://noel.pd.org/~zangin  "I dont sleep, I dream" -JMS

2. perl, expect, or tcl

3. Remote print queue/queue device definitions

4. smbprint & /etc/printcap

5. Queuing print jobs to NetWare queues?

6. API printer???

7. Print queue as a batch queue.

8. What Servers for Different Protocals?

9. problem with print to Netware print queue

10. moving print job among print queues?

11. Print queue flooded with 'finished printing' zombies...

12. Printing "watermark" in ps print queue?

13. Printing to a LAT print queue