C++ program compiled on Solaris 8 doesn't run on Solaris 2.6

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:36:23

> I am working on a large C++ program (one small binary and several
> large shared libraries) that I'd like to run both on Solaris 2.6 and
> Solaris 8 systems. I am using Forte 6 (not update 1) to build it on a
> Blade 1000 running Solaris 8. The shared libs seem to be OK, but the
> binary doesn't run on an Ultra 60 / Solaris 2.6 system : it simply
> aborts on startup, before actually reaching main(). If I recompile the
> binary on Solaris 2.6, then it works on 2.6 and 8, still using the
> Solaris 8-compiled shared libs.
> Although the 2.6 build works, it would really be easier and faster for
> me to be able to build the program on a Solaris 8 system. Plus I'd
> like to understand what is going on. Patch 105591-09 has been applied
> ob the 2.6 system, and both compilers have been patched with patch
> 109490-01.
> Does anybody have an idea on this one ?

Writing in forward-compatibility would require being able to see the future.
The fact that it works at all with Solaris 8 compiled ANYTHING in Solaris 2.6
is pure dumb luck.

Also, the Sun Blade 1000 running Solaris 8 is a 64-bit system. You may be
automatically creating 64-bit binaries with Forte. These won't run on a 2.6 no
matter how long you hold your breath.

C++ program compiled on Solaris 8 doesn't run on Solaris 2.6

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:48:53

Quote:> I am working on a large C++ program (one small binary and several
> large shared libraries) that I'd like to run both on Solaris 2.6 and

The only way you're going to achieve this is to compile your program
on Solaris 2.6.  Anything else just isn't supported, and (very probably)
won't work.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

1. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

I was going to use this hard drive to move large files from my
Ultra to my Pentium PC for CD-R backup, but upon "boot -r" on
the Ultra I saw an error about "invalid geometry" on sd3, the
drive I had formatted on my PC to be ufs.  And now of course
I can't even "prtvtoc" this disk ("Unable to read Disk geometry"),
so mounting it is seemingly out of the question.

What's the problem?  Was I naive to assume the a ufs on a Solaris
system would be the same regardless of CPU type?  I really don't
want to use Ethernet to transmit potentially gigabytes of data
on a regular basis :-(...

Please reply via email (and post here, of course), as I don't
get a chance to keep up with the newsgroup as regularly as I
would wish.  Thanks.

Mark J. Kaufman             Sun Microsystems, San Diego

2. installation problem on dual PII system

3. Compiled on 2.6 - won't run on Solaris 7

4. ip_dynaddr: Error on console

5. using crypt(3C) in a C++ program on Solaris 2.6

6. Uninstalling Corel Linux?

7. ???C++ User's Guide for Solaris 2.6???

8. can't compile mpack-1.5 on solaris

9. Nohup doesn't work as I need with ksh on Solaris 2.6

10. New install of Solaris 2.6 and ethernet doesn't appear to work

11. My Solaris 2.6 app doesn't create core file on faults

12. Dual Boot Solaris 2.6 and Win 95...doesn't seem to work

13. Solaris 2.6 doesn't boot if external disk attached