SparcII + Solaris 2.6 + CD drive = not booting from CD

SparcII + Solaris 2.6 + CD drive = not booting from CD

Post by Chris Evan » Mon, 06 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I have a SparcII and an old ('95) 4x external Toshiba CDROM drive in a 411
case.  yesterday i was clean installing Solaris 2.6 onto the system from
CDROM when i started getting errors.  it was at the point after
installation, reboot, and then it launches CDE to complete installation.  so
i figured i'd boot from CD again and start over.  at this point i started
getting this:

Rebooting with command: cdrom

Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Can't open boot device

any ideas?  is this cdrom incompatible with Solaris 2.6?  i installed 2.6 on
this system before without any problems, although i stopped being able to
boot off my 2.5.1 CD after that.  i figured the 2.5.1 disc was bad, but
maybe 2.6 made the drive unhappy.  or maybe the drive is kaput.

also, i just replaced the nvram chip a few months ago.  i don't know if
that's important to this issue.

*sigh*

SparcII + Solaris 2.6 + CD drive = not booting from CD

Post by Walter Lolha » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 15:17:40

Chris,

Funny you should say that. I am doing exactly the same thing on the same
hardware right now  :-).

My first attempt was with a very old Toshiba CDROM (don't know what
model). Worked fine, no errors, even after reboot.

It was only a small system disk, so I ended up installing again (with
more suitable partition sizes), only this time I used an external CDROM
enclosure with 4 drives in it (making sure only one of them is on SCSI
address 6, and the rest are non clashing). During the installation, it
would keep giving me SCSI errors etc. Finally I opened the CDROM
enclosure and disconnected the 3 unused CDROM's, and this time it went
throuth smoothly.

My second CDROM is an El-Cheapo brand, so I don't think your CDROM is at
fault, especially if it installed fine.

Your problem is more to do with not being able to read a disk label,
which sounds a bit like a bad disk, or bad connection, termination etc.

The only thing I can suggest is make sure you haven't overdone the SCSI
termination. i.e. If you are putting that disk in an external enclosure
as it is, don't terminate that end of the bus. The disk should already
be terminated.

Hope this helps,
--
Walter Lolham  |  Sanderson Local Government Solutions
               |  13th Level, 33 Berry St, North Sydney, NSW, Australia
               |  Phone:  +61-2-9926-2800 (-2888 FAX)

> I have a SparcII and an old ('95) 4x external Toshiba CDROM drive in a 411
> case.  yesterday i was clean installing Solaris 2.6 onto the system from
> CDROM when i started getting errors.  it was at the point after
> installation, reboot, and then it launches CDE to complete installation.  so
> i figured i'd boot from CD again and start over.  at this point i started
> getting this:

> Rebooting with command: cdrom

> Can't read disk label.
> Can't open disk label package
> Can't open boot device

> any ideas?  is this cdrom incompatible with Solaris 2.6?  i installed 2.6 on
> this system before without any problems, although i stopped being able to
> boot off my 2.5.1 CD after that.  i figured the 2.5.1 disc was bad, but
> maybe 2.6 made the drive unhappy.  or maybe the drive is kaput.

> also, i just replaced the nvram chip a few months ago.  i don't know if
> that's important to this issue.

> *sigh*

SparcII + Solaris 2.6 + CD drive = not booting from CD

Post by weimin.. » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Try "reset-all" in "ok" prompt, see if it works.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SparcII + Solaris 2.6 + CD drive = not booting from CD

Post by Elaine Ashto » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> also, i just replaced the nvram chip a few months ago.  i don't know if
> that's important to this issue.

Have you considered OpenBSD? I tried 2.5 on an LX long ago and realised
that Solaris would never run as it should on these older boxes and find
OpenBSD to be a very suitable replacement.

e.

SparcII + Solaris 2.6 + CD drive = not booting from CD

Post by j braham lev » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Elaine,

That's what I got... No problems building 2.6 from CD. Ensure the CD is
set to SCSI ID=6. Try a probe-scsi to check all is seen. Is termination
all okay

> > also, i just replaced the nvram chip a few months ago.  i don't know if
> > that's important to this issue.

> Have you considered OpenBSD? I tried 2.5 on an LX long ago and realised
> that Solaris would never run as it should on these older boxes and find
> OpenBSD to be a very suitable replacement.

> e.

braham
--
j braham levy                             | Novus Networks Ltd,

Tel: +44-1477-537766 (work)               | Holmes Chapel,
Tel: +44-1782-620580 (home)               | Cheshire, CW4 7BA UK.

1. multiple Hard Drives and CD Rom on Solaris 2.6 (Intel)

I have a problem on solaris for intel (solaris 2.6)
The problem is I have 2 hard drives and 1 cd-rom
(all EIDE).  If I install 1 disk drive as primary and the cd-rom
as secondary and put the second hard drive on the second
ide controler as primary I am unable to map the second HD.
If I put the two hard drives on the same controler I am able to
format them but am unable to map the cd-rom.  Will solaris
2.6 allow both primary and secondary controlers or do I need
to go SCSI to see all the drives.

Thank you

roger mahler

2. TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)

3. 12/24x IDE CD-ROM drives for Solaris-x86 2.6?

4. AD: Linux CD with updated Slackware, $9

5. How to use CD-R drive under Solaris 2.6 x86?

6. Messuring Net-Traffic for a special service...

7. Solaris 2.6 Bootable CD, which boot image?

8. '\n' when fork()ing

9. Ricoh CD, CD-R, CD-RW and DVD drive

10. replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

11. cdrecord (CD software) does not see my HP8100 IDE CD-RW Drive.

12. Problem- Video CD- CD to CD copying- Does not play in hardware player

13. recover Solaris 2.6/7 with solaris 8 CD