Process/Memory Allocation Problems

Post by Dan Rohwer-Nutte » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hey,

        I've got a serious problem with a database application (AceDB) on a
SS10/Sol2.4 with 32Mb.  Whenever one of my users starts doing any
serious searching or works with a big data-set the program dumps with a
memory allocation error and tells me it can't create any new processes.

        No problemo, says I, and I start tweeking up maxusers.  Problem is, no
matter how high I set maxusers, max_nprocs, and/or maxuprc the thing
still crashes.  I've also tried playing with lotsfree to open up more
pages to no avail.  The same app runs like a dream on a SS20/Sol2.5 with
64Mb without needing any plugs in /etc/system.

        Is there something stupid I'm over-looking here?  Any help greatly
appreciated.

        Thanks!
        Dan.

--
Dan Rohwer-Nutter
The University of Wisconsin

Post by Jeff Bonwi » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>    I've got a serious problem with a database application (AceDB) on a
> SS10/Sol2.4 with 32Mb.  Whenever one of my users starts doing any
> serious searching or works with a big data-set the program dumps with a
> memory allocation error and tells me it can't create any new processes.

Most likely you're just running out of swap space.

Jeff Bonwick
Solaris Performance

Post by Dan Rohwer-Nutte » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> >       I've got a serious problem with a database application (AceDB) on a
> > SS10/Sol2.4 with 32Mb.  Whenever one of my users starts doing any
> > serious searching or works with a big data-set the program dumps with a
> > memory allocation error and tells me it can't create any new processes.

> Most likely you're just running out of swap space.

> Jeff Bonwick
> Solaris Performance

Duuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh.

You wouldn't think searching a big database would use lots of virtual
memory, would you.

Swap allocation being increased as I type, more RAM on order.

Thanks to Jeff for pointing out that my nose was attached to my face.

A greatly appreciative and much humbled,
Dan.