HELP NFS permission denied on NFS mount point

HELP NFS permission denied on NFS mount point

Post by Akinwande Seigmund Walter-Johnson II » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 05:05:55

I mounted an NFS directory and I can see it , but when i try to write to the
folder from the client
I get permission denied I am root, so whats going on

HELP NFS permission denied on NFS mount point

Post by Ronald Raulef » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 04:08:15

Quote:

> I mounted an NFS directory and I can see it , but when i try to write to the
> folder from the client
> I get permission denied I am root, so whats going on

You're not allowed to write. Share the dirs on the nfsserver with:

share  -F nfs -o rw=netgroup,root=hostWantsToWrite      /testdir

Now root on the host hostWantsToWrite is allowed to write on the mounted dir
/testdir.

ask: man share_nfs

Regards,

r.
--
Ronald Raulefs                  Institut fr Kommunikation und Navigation

Tel: +49(0) 8153 28-2803        DLR Oberpfaffenhofen
Fax: +49(0) 8153 28-1442/1871   82230 Wessling

HELP NFS permission denied on NFS mount point

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 04:58:47

Quote:

> I mounted an NFS directory and I can see it , but when i try to write to the
> folder from the client
> I get permission denied I am root, so whats going on

This is a security feature of NFS. By default, root cannot write to an NFS
mounted directory. Unless told otherwise, the NFS server sees a remote root
user as "nobody".

You can change this behaviour by adding "root=hostname1:hostname2:hostnameX"
to the options in your /etc/dfs/dfstab file on the NFS server and re-exporting
all the directories.

Example:

share -F nfs -o rw,root=fred:barney:wilma:betty /example/directory

This allows the root on hosts fred, barney, wilma, and betty to write to
/example/directory.

HELP NFS permission denied on NFS mount point

Post by Peter Bau » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 06:30:32

Quote:> I mounted an NFS directory and I can see it , but when i try to write to the
> folder from the client
> I get permission denied I am root, so whats going on

NFS Server probably exports the filesystem without the option anon=0.
Therefor, local root (Client) is mapped to uid nobody on server.

It's a security feature.

Peter

1. NFS mounts at lower mount points override permissions ...?

Hi All,

I have come across a problem. I have set up a linux file server.
In the exports file I had:
/home   ...(rw)
/       ...(ro)
And for a while everything was fine. At some point (possibly with a
kernel upgrade) this stopped working as the ro on / overrides the rw
on /home. I have temporarily got things working again by having rw
on / but I don't like this as the client machines are extremely
insecure.
Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

Cheers, Adrian

Old Court,              WWW : http://crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk/       || * \ v / * ||
Clare College,                                                  \\____\O/____//

2. Fix up slabinfo code

3. Help: NFS mount permission denied

4. 0.96c rebooting again...

5. tar backup via NFS excluding NFS mount point

6. Debug a call back using gdb or other debugger??

7. touble mounting NFS : permission denied

8. cvsup ports

9. NFS Mount to AIX -> Permission denied

10. nfs mount: permission denied

11. NFS mount "Permission denied"

12. problem getting NFS mount point permissions correct

13. nfs getting permission denied errors while trying to mount the /users directory