format: free hog, label, partition name

Post by sjfr.. » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:37:02

I'm using Solaris 2.5.1.

Some questions about using "format" to partition disks:

(1) Is there anything physically being done to the disk as the "free
hog" partition grows and shrinks, or are all the actions at the stage
of modifying the partition table strictly computations?  (I find no
rhyme or reason to how the free hog partition is picked, or why this
concept is needed other than as a means of making all the choices for
partition sizes legal.)

(2) "Nothing is actually happening to the disk until you label it;
until then, manipulating the partition table is occuring within the
format program and the data you supply it."

(3) Does it really matter what names you give the partitions?  E.g.,
does "unassigned" have any special semantics to it?

(4) Does it really matter what name you give the partition table?

TIA,

sjfromm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

format: free hog, label, partition name

Post by Andrew Gabri » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:51:50

Quote:>I'm using Solaris 2.5.1.

>Some questions about using "format" to partition disks:

>(1) Is there anything physically being done to the disk as the "free
>hog" partition grows and shrinks, or are all the actions at the stage
>of modifying the partition table strictly computations?  (I find no
>rhyme or reason to how the free hog partition is picked, or why this
>concept is needed other than as a means of making all the choices for
>partition sizes legal.)

I think just computations

Quote:>(3) Does it really matter what names you give the partitions?  E.g.,
>does "unassigned" have any special semantics to it?

Solaris mostly doesn't care about partition tags.
The only time I found it did is when upgrading a system, the
installer appeared to look for existing 'root' partitions (and
got confused when I had several on the same disk).

--

Consultant Software Engineer

Post by Darren Dunha » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 04:41:20

> I'm using Solaris 2.5.1.
> Some questions about using "format" to partition disks:
> (2) "Nothing is actually happening to the disk until you label it;
> until then, manipulating the partition table is occuring within the
> format program and the data you supply it."

You don't have a question here.

When you 'label', you write the partition table.  That way after you get
through 2 or 3 partitions and then you do something that screws you up,
you can just cancel and the disk is untouched.

Quote:> (3) Does it really matter what names you give the partitions?  E.g.,
> does "unassigned" have any special semantics to it?

Not many.  The labels predate the days of a /etc/vfstab.  They were used
to know where to mount stuff.  It's only a 4 bit number with some
positions having special meaning.  If your partition really is 'root',
'usr', 'var', or 'swap', might as well use it.  Jst about everything is
is unassigned.

Solaris 'upgrade' appears to use it for finding some partitions.

Vertias Volume manager use a couple of unreferenced tags for its own
purposes (I think they're 0x13 and 0x14)

Quote:> (4) Does it really matter what name you give the partition table?

I never have a chance to name anything.  I guess you're going through
some other steps.

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

1. ext2 partition, filesystem management - fstab, mount, volume-label, volume-name

I had a hard time finding information about setting the LABEL which is used in fstab for defining mount points.  I had two partitions with the same label, and Linux would not boot.  I bypassed the problem by removing one of the partitions, but I wanted to fix the problem permanently by re-labeling the partitions.  Unfortunately, there was little information anywhere on labeling or naming partitions, and what there was, was confusing.  For example, parted talks about a numeric partition label, when a character string was needed.

It turned out that what I wanted was a FILESYSTEM volume-label, which can be set by either of the e2label or tune2fs utilities in the e2fsprogs package.  Once I knew what to look for, I found a reference to e2label in man fstab, and found that mount -l could be used to display current filesystem labels.

As a former Windows user, I failed to realize the distinction between partition and file system, and started down a tortuous path to find the file system management information I needed.

2. Oops in 2.4.20-rc2 (SCSI emulation)

3. Can't change partition name in format command.

4. XFreee with Diamond 3D 4000

5. Free Hog

6. Ancient computer running a CD burner?

7. DNS is hogging the CPU and name lookups take awhile

8. More on random program crashes

9. Disk formatting/labeling

10. Format a linux partition into an hfs partition

11. 'format' and disk labels

12. Running format in a script to label a lot of disks ...

13. newbie needs help with format/label