Solaris 8 compiler problem....

Post by Scott Lawso » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:50:02

People, I have been getting this occasionally on a few compilation
attempts  for certain thing's
under Solaris 8.

"/usr/ucb/cc language software optional package not installed"

Any ideas how to fix. The system has a full solaris install, so I would
assume that the language components
are installed. Is there any paths that I need to add to fix this, or am
I indeed missing some language libraries
from my system that I need to install.

  s.lawson.vcf
< 1K Download

Solaris 8 compiler problem....

Post by Stefaan A Eecke » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:33:23

Quote:> People, I have been getting this occasionally on a few compilation
> attempts  for certain thing's
> under Solaris 8.

> "/usr/ucb/cc language software optional package not installed"

> Any ideas how to fix. The system has a full solaris install, so I would
> assume that the language components
> are installed. Is there any paths that I need to add to fix this, or am
> I indeed missing some language libraries
> from my system that I need to install.

It means no 'C' compiler is installed. That's normal for Solaris,
since the 'C' compiler is unbundled, and thanks to kernel modules,
you don't need even a minimal 'C' compiler to relink the kernel.
There's a simple, free solution: Solaris 8 includes gcc 2.95.2 on
the Companion CD.

Alternatively, you could buy Sun Forte 'C' or C++.

Take care,

--
Stefaan
--

Solaris 8 compiler problem....

Post by Martin Pau » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:38:39

Please stop posting MIME format to Usenet.

Quote:> People, I have been getting this occasionally on a few compilation
> attempts  for certain thing's under Solaris 8.

> "/usr/ucb/cc language software optional package not installed"

Check the FAQ at:

  http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Tel: 01 4277 38803
        http://www.par.univie.ac.at/ | Fax: 01 4277 9388

Solaris 8 compiler problem....

Post by H.H » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 01:20:16

Solaris doesn't come with a compiler, go download the GNU compiler from
www.sunfreeware.com

Quote:> People, I have been getting this occasionally on a few compilation
> attempts  for certain thing's
> under Solaris 8.

> "/usr/ucb/cc language software optional package not installed"

> Any ideas how to fix. The system has a full solaris install, so I would
> assume that the language components
> are installed. Is there any paths that I need to add to fix this, or am
> I indeed missing some language libraries
> from my system that I need to install.

1. Installation problems with C-compiler and Oracle 9i on Solaris 8 on a SunFire V100

We have purchased a SunFire V100 for running Java and Oracle, and last
week I tried to installe Forte Developer 6 (needed the C compiler, the
CD may be have labeled differently), and today I have tried installing
Oracle 9i for Solaris 64-bit.

The Oracle installation went through well, but the DBCA was stuck midway
when trying to create the default database (I could stop it).  First
time I let it wait for 3 hours to finish before stopping it.

The Forte installation froze on 6% on installing (tried 3-4 times both
in GUI and text), but I apparently had the C-compiler available and I
have been using it.

Are these caused by the same?  It has been a couple of years since I did
SA on Solaris, so I am a bit rusty on the details.

The Solaris is preinstalled by Sun, and works well.  I have my self set
up DiskSuite to mirror the disk.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
   Thorbj?rn

2. STB Horizon 64

3. Problem with Solaris C++ compiler

4. Sun, Microsoft tackle security flaws

5. cc errors on Solaris 2.6 - does Solaris come with a compiler anymore?

6. Free-SCO Install (adapter no detect)

7. Cross Compiler for Solaris 10 x86 on Solaris 8 Sparc.

8. cops and linux

9. gcc compiler problem on Solaris 7

10. Problem with STL set on Solaris 2.7 SC 5.0 compilers

11. Problems with Solaris C++ compiler

12. Sun Workshop 5 C++ compiler problem on Solaris 8

13. Solaris 9 Newbie: C compiler problem