Anonymous ftp: ls produces nothing?

Post by Tim S » Thu, 04 Aug 1994 03:40:56

I followed the instructions/shell script in the man pages of Solaris 2.3
under ftpd, but there is a problem with "ls" not giving any output.
Everything else seems to work. While ftp-ing into the machine as
ftp/anonymous, i can do a "cd pub" and get files that are there, but ls
yields nothing.

I even grabbed a statically compiled binary of ls, but still nothing:

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (128.32.169.183,4355) (0 bytes).
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
ftp> ls -l
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (128.32.169.183,4356) (0 bytes).
226 ASCII Transfer complete.

I did everything the man pages said to do; even went through the included
shell script manually to double check...

  Tim Suh                           |  University of California Berkeley
  Programmer/Analyst                |  Instructional Technology Program

1. Anon ftp and ls, nothing is listed ?

: Hi there

: I am experimenting with an anon ftp site on my linux box. I have
: followed the mini-howto on doing this and all seems to be OK, but when
: an anon user logs in and does an ls the subdirs appear to be empty. The
: only way to get a listing is to use nlist. What have I missed ? It must
: just be a premissions thing, but I have the premissions as set out in
: the howto.

are you sure you have a statically linked copy of 'ls' in the anonymous
ftp ~ftp/bin dir?

      If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice -- RUSH

2. DAC960, 2.4.19 alpha problems

3. FTP ls returns nothing

4. [checker] 120 potential dereference to invalid pointers errors for linux 2.4.1

5. FTP keeps using /usr/bin/ls and not ~/ftp/bin/ls

6. Sound support on HP 7050

7. Anonymous FTP user and access to ls

8. New or Revised TAs on websco, 960515

9. ls -al commaand on anonymous ftp server

10. Anonymous FTP, ls don't work!

11. anonymous ftp won't 'ls' in Solaris 2.6

12. ls don't work with anonymous ftp.

13. 'ls' fails in anonymous FTP session