OS buffer size and block size?

Post by david_pe.. » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

   Could anyone tells me what is the differences between the OS buffer
size and block size on Solaris? What is the size of these two values on
Solaris?

Thanks,
David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

OS buffer size and block size?

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello all,

>    Could anyone tells me what is the differences between the OS buffer
> size and block size on Solaris? What is the size of these two values on
> Solaris?

I don't know about "OS buffer size"; I don't think there is such a thing
(aside from typeahead on a tty).  But there is the system page size
(architecture-dependent power of 2, commonly 4096 or 8192) the UFS block
size (most commonly 8192), the UFS frag size (most commonly 1024), and
the stdio buffer size (1024 from BUFSIZ in stdio.h unless you use setvbuf()).
There's also the pipe size (5120).

stat(2) or fstat(2) can tell you the block size in the case of a particular
file; pathconf(2)/fpathconf(2) can tell you the pipe size and tty typeahead
size (and other things); sysconf(3c) can tell you the page size (and other
things).

IMO, if your program has to concern itself with these things at all, it's
best to fetch them dynamically and adjust behavior accordingly; in the
case of anything obtained from stat()/fstat()/pathconf()/fpathconf(),
correct behavior would mean not assuming that the value in question was
the same for all files.

--
ftp> get |fortune
377 I/O error: smart remark generator failed

Bogonics: the primary language inside the Beltway

1. Any relationship between message size and tcp/udp socket buffer size?

Hi all!

I want to ask if there is any relationship between message size and
tcp/udp socket buffer size? (i.e. will they affect each other)  And how
the sending socket buffer size relate to the receive socket buffer size?

Thanks for any words.

2. How to download file to floppy?

3. Message size exceeded size of internal buffer

4. Hardware Errors - newbie

5. Buffer-Cache Block Sizes

6. Downes Server - Help!

7. HELP! copy problem with small files (<7kbytes) to mounted drive

8. send function blocks on large buffer sizes

9. Maximum block size for a buffer head

10. How to know the OS buffer size in Solaris7

11. Tuning SUN OS IO buffer Sizes

12. OS Block Size???