Cannot see all disk size when adding a new drive to Sun Ultra 10 SunOs 4.0

Cannot see all disk size when adding a new drive to Sun Ultra 10 SunOs 4.0

Post by George Yiango » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:55:41



I'm running some old legacy applications on a Sun Ultra 10 (SunOs 4.0).
I cannot upgrade the Solaris version because the server apps won't work
on a new version.

I had a faulty 8GB drive and have replaced it with a Fujitsu 20GB EIDE
drive, but the format command only sees 8GB disk space.

I'm sure its to do with LBA/CHS translation, but have no idea how to fix
it. I'm sure a Solaris upgrade would fix it, but there is now way I can
do that.

Any ideas?

Regards

George

 
 
 

Cannot see all disk size when adding a new drive to Sun Ultra 10 SunOs 4.0

Post by ultraspa.. » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 01:51:39



Quote:>I'm running some old legacy applications on a Sun Ultra 10 (SunOs 4.0).

SunOS 4.0 doesn't run on the Sun Ultra 10 (SunOS 5.5.1 or later) nor
the SPARCstation 10 (SunOS 4.1.3 or later).

Quote:>I had a faulty 8GB drive and have replaced it with a Fujitsu 20GB EIDE
>drive, but the format command only sees 8GB disk space.

since you are referring to EIDE disks it must be an Ultra 10 but that
platform only runs SunOS 5.5.1 (Solaris 2.5.1) or later, you need
to double-check your OS version.  run "uname -sr".

Quote:>I'm sure its to do with LBA/CHS translation, but have no idea how to fix
>it. I'm sure a Solaris upgrade would fix it, but there is now way I can
>do that.

if you want to use an EIDE disk larger than 8GB on SPARC hardware you
need to use Solaris 7 or later; Solaris 8 10/00 or later for disks
larger than 32GB.  *or* buy the 20gb eide disks from Sun that have
correct c/h/s geometry in their firmware, they'll work with any
Solaris version but are probably more expensive than the generic
eide disks that don't report the correct c/h/s geometry.

 
 
 

Cannot see all disk size when adding a new drive to Sun Ultra 10 SunOs 4.0

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:29:16



> I'm running some old legacy applications on a Sun Ultra 10 (SunOs 4.0).
> I cannot upgrade the Solaris version because the server apps won't work
> on a new version.

> I had a faulty 8GB drive and have replaced it with a Fujitsu 20GB EIDE
> drive, but the format command only sees 8GB disk space.

> I'm sure its to do with LBA/CHS translation, but have no idea how to fix
> it. I'm sure a Solaris upgrade would fix it, but there is now way I can
> do that.

> Any ideas?

> Regards

> George

go ahead use the 8gb of 20gb if it works !
use some other computer to verify if the "old" applications works in newer
OS.
then you can feel safe moving for an upgrade.
/J?rgen
 
 
 

Cannot see all disk size when adding a new drive to Sun Ultra 10 SunOs 4.0

Post by George Yiango » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 19:14:05


Thanks alot for that.
I'll order a new drive from Sun.

Cheers.

George



> >I'm running some old legacy applications on a Sun Ultra 10 (SunOs 4.0).

> SunOS 4.0 doesn't run on the Sun Ultra 10 (SunOS 5.5.1 or later) nor
> the SPARCstation 10 (SunOS 4.1.3 or later).

> >I had a faulty 8GB drive and have replaced it with a Fujitsu 20GB EIDE
> >drive, but the format command only sees 8GB disk space.

> since you are referring to EIDE disks it must be an Ultra 10 but that
> platform only runs SunOS 5.5.1 (Solaris 2.5.1) or later, you need
> to double-check your OS version.  run "uname -sr".

> >I'm sure its to do with LBA/CHS translation, but have no idea how to fix
> >it. I'm sure a Solaris upgrade would fix it, but there is now way I can
> >do that.

> if you want to use an EIDE disk larger than 8GB on SPARC hardware you
> need to use Solaris 7 or later; Solaris 8 10/00 or later for disks
> larger than 32GB.  *or* buy the 20gb eide disks from Sun that have
> correct c/h/s geometry in their firmware, they'll work with any
> Solaris version but are probably more expensive than the generic
> eide disks that don't report the correct c/h/s geometry.

 
 
 

1. Q: Howto add a non-Sun-IDE-Drive on Ultra 10 (Solaris 7)?

Hello,

I want to add a (non-Sun supplied) IDE drive (a flash drive from
Sandisk) to my U10 running Solaris 7 . I am a little bit confused and
concerned by all the posting reporting trouble.

What are the obstacles? Is there some kind of HOWTO?

Sun guaranties only for the IDE drives they distribute (those appear to
me as normal Seagate drives, right?).
Sun's IDE interface seem to obey pretty much the IDE standard; the
only(?) additional requirement seems to be that the drive must support
LBA mode.

Bernhard Gubanka

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

2. promise Raid and linux

3. Large disk drives with Solaris 2.6 on a Sun Ultra 10

4. problem with rsh/rexec

5. ULTRA 2 not seeing new disk drive

6. Cancel Subscriptions to List Servers

7. Sun Ultra 5/10 Newbie Question: Are Solaris and SunOS binary compatible?

8. Picasso Xfree Update

9. Solaris 10, built new disk, now cannot boot off solaris 8 disk???

10. Seagate disk on an Ultra 10 - block size problem?

11. A1000, Ultra 10, & drive size compatibility

12. ultra 10/maximum size/maximum disks

13. adding SCSI drive to Ultra 10 clone