/ultra1/solaris2.7/samba2.0.5

Post by u708740.. » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:20:52

Installed the samba-2.0.5-sol7-sparc-local.gz. I am not able to
find docs on how to make this to work with win3.1. man pages are
not that much help either. not even samba.org. Anyone knows the
steps or knows of any where abouts of such docs... I am not
concenrned with security at all.
sAm

--
Sent by sol_unix from  hotmail part  from  com

/ultra1/solaris2.7/samba2.0.5

Post by Doug McInty » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:07:54

>Installed the samba-2.0.5-sol7-sparc-local.gz. I am not able to
>find docs on how to make this to work with win3.1. man pages are
>not that much help either. not even samba.org. Anyone knows the
>steps or knows of any where abouts of such docs... I am not
>concenrned with security at all.

Well, its the same steps required to have Win3.1 work across a routed
network connection to a Windows server, so its not like its Unix
specific, but by crossposting to a Unix group, you're much more likely
to get a usable answer IMHO :)

Since the Solaris machine can only talk TCP/IP, you'll have to make
Win3.1 talk TCP/IP. Unfortunatly, Win3.1 doesn't come with TCP/IP, so
you'll need to find/buy a TCP/IP stack for your Win3.1 system.

Before I get into that, you better make sure to know which version of
Windows you have, as there are very slight differences in Windows
around that version that guide your path. There are a total of 4
versions you may have.

         Windows v3.1
         Windows for Work Groups v3.1 (WFWG or WFW)
         Windows v3.11
         Windows for Work Groups v3.11 (WFWG or WFW)

Now, if you do happen to have WFWG v3.1 or v3.11, you're in a much
better situation than if you have plain Win v3.1 or v3.11. Microsoft
did release a mostly-usable TCP/IP stack that only worked in their
W4WG releases for free. This is available for download from the
web/site FTP site.
(ie. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/clients/wfw/tcp32b.exe ).

If you indeed only have Windows v3.1 or v3.11, you are going to have
to update to WFWG in order to get any sort of drive mapping
capabilities, as the v3.1 or v3.11 of Windows does NOT even support it.
Microsoft really does still sell the upgrade package for WFWG v3.11,
but don't expect any retailer to actually admit it, or try to help you
out in getting some to sell to you..
--

  Network Engineer/Tech Support/Jack of All Trades of Vector Internet
Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate

1. SSLeay 0.5.1b compile on Solaris2.4

I've compiled SSLeay 0.5.1b on a Sparc station with Solaris 2.4
This seems to have gone smoothly BUT ....

Running 'make test' gave me a fff.p differ from f.p char 46 line 2 -
Error code 1

Now I don't know what is actually hapening here, but these two
certificates DO differ, which has me concerned

The 'make install' procedure seems to work after that, but I'm not
using the system at the moment.

Any comments ??

Thanks, Louis vd Walt

2. Jaton 57P causes X to hang.

3. Fwd: rpm-4.2, rpm-4.1.1, rpm-4.0.5, librpm404-4.0.5 release (finally)

4. attn: izabel - extremely marvelous power - hos - (1/1)

5. Problems with Samba2.0.3 and Solaris2.6

6. Process Check Script

7. local printer on ultra1/solaris2.6

8. Problem: Printing

9. URGENT: problem booting ultra1/creator with ultra1 boot disk

10. UNIX BBS Software FAQ with Answers (v 0.5)

11. RT-Linux 0.5 - extension for time-critical tasks

12. problems getting PCMCIA-modules-3.0.5 to work with TI Travelmate

13. Umsdos 0.5: Put your helmet on :-)