Adding New Backdrops (Screen Background) in CDE

Adding New Backdrops (Screen Background) in CDE

Post by Hon-Chi N » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I'm using CDE as window manager on Solaris 2.5.1, and I want to add my
own screen background.  I create ~/.dt/backdrops/ and place the image
files there.  I use xv to convert to the image formats.  Here are what I
tried.

1. Convert to .xbm and rename to .bm
   --> Shown in the Backdrops list, but display nothing when applied.

2. Convert to .xpm and rename to .pm
   --> Isn't shown in the Backdrops list.

3. Convert to .pm
   --> The Style Manager quits immediately when I click on the Backdrops
icon.  No dialog box displayed.

Questions:
1. Is ~/.dt/backdrops/ the right place?  The Style Manager's Help tells
nothing about adding new background.

2. Which format should it be converted to?  .xpm or .pm?  BTW, the image
has colors, so the .xbm is useless.

3. Is there a limit of the image size imposed by the "Backdrops"/CDE?
My .pm and .xpm sizes are about 360k.

Thanks.  I appreciate your help.

Hon-Chi

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Matthew Markopoulo » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi

> I'm using CDE as window manager on Solaris 2.5.1, and I want to add my
> own screen background.  I create ~/.dt/backdrops/ and place the image
> files there.  I use xv to convert to the image formats.  Here are what I
> tried.
> [...]

Quick point: xv has a bug that screws up xpm files. Make sure you're using a
patched version. See http://www.trilon.com/xv/downloads.html#xpm-patch

-M.

Adding New Backdrops (Screen Background) in CDE

Post by Amas Computer Service » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

This is your lucky day, because I just happened to add my own backdrop on a
NC running
CDE with Solaris 2.6 today, so here goes:

The backdrop was in .tif format but luckily the image-viewer that comes with
CDE reads this format.

So startup the image-viewer and look if your backdrop can be loaded by the
image-viewer.
If this is not possible you have to convert your image by some other tool
first, but the image-viewer
is already able to import a lot of image-formats.
If the image was loaded into the image-viewer than you can save your image
as .xpm.
Place your image in "/etc/dt/backdrops" or in "~/.dt/backdrops"
Then add the following line to ~/.Xdefaults:

    Dtwm*0*image: <image-name>.xpm

Now login again and you should have a new, shiny backdrop.

If you want a different backdrop for every workspace then use the following
line:

    Dtwm*0*wsX*image: <image-name>.xpm

where X stands for 0, 1, 2 ,....

If you want more info check out "man dtwm"

Good luck,

Rob Dieffenbach

Quote:> Hi

> I'm using CDE as window manager on Solaris 2.5.1, and I want to add my
> own screen background.  I create ~/.dt/backdrops/ and place the image
> files there.  I use xv to convert to the image formats.  Here are what I
> tried.

> 1. Convert to .xbm and rename to .bm
>    --> Shown in the Backdrops list, but display nothing when applied.

> 2. Convert to .xpm and rename to .pm
>    --> Isn't shown in the Backdrops list.

> 3. Convert to .pm
>    --> The Style Manager quits immediately when I click on the Backdrops
> icon.  No dialog box displayed.

> Questions:
> 1. Is ~/.dt/backdrops/ the right place?  The Style Manager's Help tells
> nothing about adding new background.

> 2. Which format should it be converted to?  .xpm or .pm?  BTW, the image
> has colors, so the .xbm is useless.

> 3. Is there a limit of the image size imposed by the "Backdrops"/CDE?
> My .pm and .xpm sizes are about 360k.

> Thanks.  I appreciate your help.

> Hon-Chi

Adding New Backdrops (Screen Background) in CDE

Post by Mathew A. Hennes » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>This is your lucky day, because I just happened to add my own backdrop on a
>NC running
>CDE with Solaris 2.6 today, so here goes:

>The backdrop was in .tif format but luckily the image-viewer that comes with
>CDE reads this format.

        I'm actually quite lazy...  I just went into Style Manager,
selected 'NoBackdrop' across all of my screens, then used xsetbg (comes
with xloadimage) to drop a JPEG in my background.  Granted, it's the same
image across all screens, but you never can get enough M82A1 Barretts.. ;)

        (I suppose I could convert to .tif or whatever, but like I said,
I'm lazy...)

--
"The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day that they
start making vacuum cleaners."

"Fool! There is nothing Perl cannot do! NOTHING!" -Bastich