Idle Timeout on Production Server

Post by The_Duc » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 02:05:47

Our production Solaris server times anyone out if they are idle for more
than 20 minutes.

I was wondering how I can determine what is causing this. Is there a
search I can do to find certain processes or files that might have the
TMOUT parameter or something?

I have already looked under /etc/profile with no luck.

All users have ksh as their login shell, but I can't seem to find that
login file for that shell.

I have checked all known profile/login files with no success.

Any aid is appreciated.

--
- The_Duck

Idle Timeout on Production Server

Post by Michael Laajane » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 06:15:56

HI,

> Our production Solaris server times anyone out if they are idle for more
> than 20 minutes.

> I was wondering how I can determine what is causing this. Is there a
> search I can do to find certain processes or files that might have the
> TMOUT parameter or something?

> I have already looked under /etc/profile with no luck.

> All users have ksh as their login shell, but I can't seem to find that
> login file for that shell.

> I have checked all known profile/login files with no success.

> Any aid is appreciated.

> --
> - The_Duck

It could be that TMOUT is compiled into the ksh with the value of 20
minutes!

Try to set it to 0; TMOUT=0;export TMOUT

/michael

Idle Timeout on Production Server

Post by The_Duc » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 02:48:13

Originally posted by "Michael Vilain <vilain

> $TMOUT is only in ksh or bash.  Try setting up an account with the
> C-shell.  If you still see the 20 minute time out, it's not the shell.

> Are you running any idle process killers like idled?

> Is this only on dial-up or does it also happen when people log
> into the
> console?

> --
> DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

It happens when logged into the Oracle Database when logged into
that server.
This also happens when I SSH or Telnet to host.

It is not an Oracle parameter because those idle params are all set to 0
or indefinitely.

*kop1-/users/oracle> echo $TMOUT
0
*kop1-/users/oracle>

How would I lookup processes that kill sessions (like idled)?

*kop1-/users/oracle> ps -ef|grep idled
  oracle 25380 25353  0 13:38:37 pts/8    0:00 grep idled
*kop1-/users/oracle>

--
- The_Duck

1. Migrating from Staging Server to Production Server

Just soliciting ideas...

I normally do my work on the same box from start to finish.  Due to a
number of issues (but mainly a lack of money), I'm going to be starting
a project in the next month or so & will be starting it out on one box
which we've got on the shelf (and it's a honker of a box at that).
About three months from now, next budget cycle, we'll get the big box &
go live.

This is a web based project I'm working on & aside from the simple stuff
like apache & php, I'm going to have to compile & configure a lot of
stuff by hand... mainly libraries & apps that will be used, which aren't
things which are included with the standard distribution... things which
I'd rather not have to do twice... not to mention the fact that in the
end, the box I'll be using will be far different in terms of hardware
than the one I'm developing on.

Before I get too involved in this, I'd like to see what others would do
in this situation... since I've never been in it before.  What are some
good rules of thumb to make the transition from one box to the other as
easy as possible?  Obviously moving data is a no-brainer (or should
be)... but what about all of these apps I'm going to have to rely on?
What's the best way to handle that?

Thanks.

--
William Carty
http://www.thinktankdecoy.com

2. How to setup up console text in color?

3. Minuteman's Production server. your provider's email server sends a message back to the Production server.

4. need help with makedepend

5. Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

6. Threads

7. What controls idle timeout?

8. Physical access means root (without password) (untested, theory only)

9. How to disable the idle timeout of my xterm ?

10. iijppp Idle Timeout

11. user accounting & idle timeout

12. Idle timeout for PPP client

13. overall idle timeout