installboot on a SDS mirrored system

Post by JG » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 01:53:15

I can't remember if I did a installboot boot block to my root mirror
when I set it up.  Would it hurt to do it again if it had already been
done?  I would think not, but....

Thanks,
JG

Post by t.. » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 04:10:13

> I can't remember if I did a installboot boot block to my root mirror
> when I set it up.  Would it hurt to do it again if it had already been
> done?  I would think not, but....

> Thanks,
> JG

Here's a script I got help on this list to check:
% cat installboot.test
#!/bin/sh

if [ $# != 1 ]
then
        echo "$0 cxtxdxsx"  # e.g., c1t0d0s0
        exit 1
fi
BLOCKDEV=/dev/dsk/$1
RAWDEV=/dev/rdsk/$1
BOOTBLK=/usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk
BOOTSIZE=`ls -l $BOOTBLK | awk '{print $5}'`
dd if=$BLOCKDEV iseek=512 bs=1 count=$BOOTSIZE 2>/dev/null | cmp -
$BOOTBLK
if [ $? != 0 ]
then
        echo "$RAWDEV does not have the bootblock code - cannot boot
from"
        echo To fix run:
        echo installboot $BOOTBLK $RAWDEV
        exit 1
else
        echo "$RAWDEV has the bootblock code."
        exit 0
fi

Example run:
# installboot.test c1t0d0s0
/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 has the bootblock code.

Cheers!
Troy

1. installboot + mirror

I have mirrored root in E450. I wanted to make
the sparc more safe if the primary device fails.
So, according to DS Users Guide, I defined an alias
on OBP  to have alternate boot device path:

But after 'boot root2 -s' command it doesn't boot.
Do I need to install a boot block ('instalboot') on
the other mirrored disk ?

przemol

2. 2.1.x && stable

3. High Availability and SDS Mirrors

4. FBSD, WIN95 and Wingate

5. SDS Mirroring on 280Rs

6. Linux partitioning help

7. SDS/SVM Mirroring HowTo

8. slow inet connection

9. sds - mirroring problem

10. Dumping SDS mirrored root disk

11. SDS 4.2 and (sub)mirror names

12. UFS logging on SDS mirrored filesystems?

13. Volume Manager/SDS and root mirroring