promiscuous AND DLPI

Post by Math » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 20:40:33

Hi,
I am using a Solaris X-86,solaris 8 with RealTek(/dev/rtls) network
card.
I would like to know  whether I will be able to get all the packets of
all the machines in the same ethernet as mine using DLPI service.
Right know I am able to get  packets originating/addressed to my
machine  and few other broadcast packets.
Thankx for your time,
Mathew

promiscuous AND DLPI

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 22:10:38

>I am using a Solaris X-86,solaris 8 with RealTek(/dev/rtls) network
>card.
>I would like to know  whether I will be able to get all the packets of
>all the machines in the same ethernet as mine using DLPI service.
>Right know I am able to get  packets originating/addressed to my
>machine  and few other broadcast packets.

Remove your switch and install a hub.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. DLPI promiscuous/raw mode question

Hi,

I am running  DLPI demo code (by Neal Nuckolls; a well-known package?)
on Solaris 2.5.1. I have two Sparc20s connected on dedicated ether
NICs.  I need to see all packets, regardless of ethertype,  received
on /dev/le, so I enable promiscuous and raw modes at the receiving
end.

Tx SAP = 0   Rx SAP = 0,  rcvd ok
Tx SAP = 0,  Rx SAP != 0, rcvd ok
Tx SAP != 0, Rx SAP=0,    packet is not received (it is transmitted)

Is there another driver option required to handle this case? Or is
there another reason that the driver does not pass the raw packet up?

thanks,

Mark Whittaker
Cabletron Systems, Inc
Merrimack, NH 03054

(Note, Demunge return address to reply by email)

Mark Whittaker
Cabletron Systems, Inc
Merrimack, NH 03054

2. question about Buffalo LGY-PCI-TXL lan card?

3. DLPI Promiscuous Levels?

4. KDE v1.1.2 leaking memory?

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use '--no-verify'

7. DLPI programs in dltest.tar

8. SNMP wrong version ?

9. Solaris DLPI programming?

10. DLPI & STREAMS: How...