Solaris net connection through a gateway?

Solaris net connection through a gateway?

Post by Dave » Tue, 08 May 2001 16:08:57

How do I connect a Solaris 8 PC to the Internet through a gateway?  I'm
trying to learn UNIX and want to configure a PC to learn on.

I have a couple of PCs connected to the Internet through a Linksys
BEFSR41 - EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router.  It does NAT and is a
firewall.

Im trying to install Solaris 8 on one of the PCs (dual boot) and am
having a problem connecting to the net through the gateway Linksys box.
During the Solaris installation Im asked if the PC is directly
connected to the Internet or am I going through a proxy.  The Linksys
box is neither.  Their web site mentions nothing about UNIX so Im not
too encouraged.

Anyone ever do this or can suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Dave

Solaris net connection through a gateway?

Post by Boris Pigi » Tue, 08 May 2001 17:19:16

you need a file /etc/defaultrouter with
the IP number of your gateway in that.

Solaris net connection through a gateway?

Post by Kai Leibrand » Tue, 08 May 2001 18:39:22

Check out http://sun.drydog.com/faq - it should be your first stop on
finding info on Solaris/x86. Your second stop could be http://www.deja.com.
Many people have done this before so don't despair - it CAN be done! :-)

HTH

Kai.

Quote:> How do I connect a Solaris 8 PC to the Internet through a gateway?  I'm
> trying to learn UNIX and want to configure a PC to learn on.

> I have a couple of PCs connected to the Internet through a Linksys
> BEFSR41 - EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router.  It does NAT and is a
> firewall.

> I'm trying to install Solaris 8 on one of the PCs (dual boot) and am
> having a problem connecting to the net through the gateway Linksys box.
> During the Solaris installation I'm asked if the PC is directly
> connected to the Internet or am I going through a proxy.  The Linksys
> box is neither.  Their web site mentions nothing about UNIX so I'm not
> too encouraged.

> Anyone ever do this or can suggest a solution?

> Thanks,
> Dave

Solaris net connection through a gateway?

Post by Vincent Pha » Wed, 09 May 2001 00:54:31

Dave,
Try to setup that Solaris with static IP through your Linksys router (pick
one between 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.49)
then do /etc/defaultrouter to 192.168.1.1, Domain name is whatever your ISP
provide you with DNS ...

-Vincent Phan

Quote:> How do I connect a Solaris 8 PC to the Internet through a gateway?  I'm
> trying to learn UNIX and want to configure a PC to learn on.

> I have a couple of PCs connected to the Internet through a Linksys
> BEFSR41 - EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router.  It does NAT and is a
> firewall.

> I'm trying to install Solaris 8 on one of the PCs (dual boot) and am
> having a problem connecting to the net through the gateway Linksys box.
> During the Solaris installation I'm asked if the PC is directly
> connected to the Internet or am I going through a proxy.  The Linksys
> box is neither.  Their web site mentions nothing about UNIX so I'm not
> too encouraged.

> Anyone ever do this or can suggest a solution?

> Thanks,
> Dave

Solaris net connection through a gateway?

Post by Dave » Wed, 09 May 2001 04:45:11

Thank you everyone.

Putting the Linksys IP in /etc/defaultrouter worked, although DNS still
was a problem.  I created /etc/resolve.conf and cp /etc/nsswitch.dns
/etc/nsswitch.conf, but I still could only access the net via an IP
address.  Not sure what else I missed.

To make a long story short, I reinstalled, added /etc/defaultrouter and
/etc/resolv.conf (not sure why the install didn't, I told it the info)
and all is well.  At least with that problem :)