Solaris MU7 problem

Solaris MU7 problem

Post by Daniel Bir » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 02:00:52



I'm trying to install MU7 for Solaris 8 but get the following error
message...

***************************************************************
*  Patch(es) 108987-08 112396-01  not installed - exiting.            
* -----------------------------------------------------------
* these are  mandatory patch(es) for Solaris 8 MU7 (sparc) as
* they resolve some patch database corruption issues. Please  
* install the patch(es) before applying the Maintenance Update.
* The patch(es) may be obtained via SunSolve or your normal patch
* distribution channels.                                    
***************************************************************

My problem is I can only find patches 108987-09 112396-02 on Sun Solve
(using patch finder). Does anyone know where to get the correct ones from???

TIA

Dan

 
 
 

Solaris MU7 problem

Post by Jim Pennin » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 02:09:48



> I'm trying to install MU7 for Solaris 8 but get the following error
> message...
> ***************************************************************
> *  Patch(es) 108987-08 112396-01  not installed - exiting.            
> * -----------------------------------------------------------
> * these are  mandatory patch(es) for Solaris 8 MU7 (sparc) as
> * they resolve some patch database corruption issues. Please  
> * install the patch(es) before applying the Maintenance Update.
> * The patch(es) may be obtained via SunSolve or your normal patch
> * distribution channels.                                    
> ***************************************************************
> My problem is I can only find patches 108987-09 112396-02 on Sun Solve
> (using patch finder). Does anyone know where to get the correct ones from???
> TIA
> Dan

Installing the latest patch should solve your problem.

--
Jim Pennino

 
 
 

Solaris MU7 problem

Post by Daniel Bir » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 02:11:59


Thanks, but I've tried that. It still comes up with the same message.
I've taken a look in the install_mu script and it looks specfifcally for
those patches. I was temped to change the script to check for the

so I'm not too confident about doing that....:)

> I'm trying to install MU7 for Solaris 8 but get the following error
> message...

> ***************************************************************
> *  Patch(es) 108987-08 112396-01  not installed - exiting.            
> * -----------------------------------------------------------
> * these are  mandatory patch(es) for Solaris 8 MU7 (sparc) as * they
> resolve some patch database corruption issues. Please  * install the
> patch(es) before applying the Maintenance Update.
> * The patch(es) may be obtained via SunSolve or your normal patch
> * distribution channels.                                    
> ***************************************************************

> My problem is I can only find patches 108987-09 112396-02 on Sun Solve
> (using patch finder). Does anyone know where to get the correct ones
> from???

> TIA

> Dan

 
 
 

Solaris MU7 problem

Post by Jim Pennin » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 02:38:09



> Thanks, but I've tried that. It still comes up with the same message.
> I've taken a look in the install_mu script and it looks specfifcally for
> those patches. I was temped to change the script to check for the

> so I'm not too confident about doing that....:)

>> I'm trying to install MU7 for Solaris 8 but get the following error
>> message...

>> ***************************************************************
>> *  Patch(es) 108987-08 112396-01  not installed - exiting.            
>> * -----------------------------------------------------------
>> * these are  mandatory patch(es) for Solaris 8 MU7 (sparc) as * they
>> resolve some patch database corruption issues. Please  * install the
>> patch(es) before applying the Maintenance Update.
>> * The patch(es) may be obtained via SunSolve or your normal patch
>> * distribution channels.                                    
>> ***************************************************************

>> My problem is I can only find patches 108987-09 112396-02 on Sun Solve
>> (using patch finder). Does anyone know where to get the correct ones
>> from???

>> TIA

>> Dan

The two patches in question basically patch patchadd/patchrm.

See the readmes.

The latest should be more than sufficient to make the MU work.

Sun screwed up by using the specific patch revision instead of "or
later" in their script.

You could:

1. Do an upgrade install and * to Sun about the brain dead script.
2. Mod the brain dead script, install the MU and * to Sun about the
brain dead script.

--
Jim Pennino

 
 
 

Solaris MU7 problem

Post by Daniel Bir » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 02:39:16


Thanks,
just needed some reassurance! :)


>>Thanks, but I've tried that. It still comes up with the same message.
>>I've taken a look in the install_mu script and it looks specfifcally for
>>those patches. I was temped to change the script to check for the

>>so I'm not too confident about doing that....:)


>>>I'm trying to install MU7 for Solaris 8 but get the following error
>>>message...

>>>***************************************************************
>>>*  Patch(es) 108987-08 112396-01  not installed - exiting.            
>>>* -----------------------------------------------------------
>>>* these are  mandatory patch(es) for Solaris 8 MU7 (sparc) as * they
>>>resolve some patch database corruption issues. Please  * install the
>>>patch(es) before applying the Maintenance Update.
>>>* The patch(es) may be obtained via SunSolve or your normal patch
>>>* distribution channels.                                    
>>>***************************************************************

>>>My problem is I can only find patches 108987-09 112396-02 on Sun Solve
>>>(using patch finder). Does anyone know where to get the correct ones
>>>from???

>>>TIA

>>>Dan

>The two patches in question basically patch patchadd/patchrm.

>See the readmes.

>The latest should be more than sufficient to make the MU work.

>Sun screwed up by using the specific patch revision instead of "or
>later" in their script.

>You could:

>1. Do an upgrade install and * to Sun about the brain dead script.
>2. Mod the brain dead script, install the MU and * to Sun about the
>brain dead script.

 
 
 

Solaris MU7 problem

Post by Fredrik Lundho » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 05:11:43



>> Thanks, but I've tried that. It still comes up with the same message.
>> I've taken a look in the install_mu script and it looks specfifcally for
>> those patches. I was temped to change the script to check for the

>> so I'm not too confident about doing that....:)

Actually Sun has a fixed script referenced in FIN Doc ID: I0879-1. A Sun
support person should be able to get it for you.

Or:

Download MU7 from sunsolve, should have the fixed script in place.

Or:

Fix the script yourself.

/wfr
Fredrik

 
 
 

Solaris MU7 problem

Post by Daniel Bir » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 05:27:43


Thanks all,
Done, just mod-ed the script.


>>>Thanks, but I've tried that. It still comes up with the same message.
>>>I've taken a look in the install_mu script and it looks specfifcally for
>>>those patches. I was temped to change the script to check for the

>>>so I'm not too confident about doing that....:)

>Actually Sun has a fixed script referenced in FIN Doc ID: I0879-1. A Sun
>support person should be able to get it for you.

>Or:

>Download MU7 from sunsolve, should have the fixed script in place.

>Or:

>Fix the script yourself.

>/wfr
>Fredrik

 
 
 

1. Solaris 8 - how do I tell if MU7 is installed on 02/02?

I have a few Solaris 8 machines, some 10/00 with MU7:

                        Solaris 8 10/00 s28s_u2wos_11b SPARC
            Copyright 2000 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                             Assembled 31 August 2000
                      Solaris 8 Maintenance Update 7 applied

And some 02/02, that I am 99% certain that I installed MU7 on:

                        Solaris 8 2/02 s28s_u7wos_08a SPARC
            Copyright 2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                            Assembled 18 December 2001

Does /etc/release not get updated by the MU7 install on 02/02 ?

I was able to confirm elsewhere that MU7 was indeed installed
(I poked around in /var/sadm) but I was freaking out that /etc/release
didn't have anything - I thought perhaps I'd just dreamed I installed
MU7 on the 02/02 machines!

Maybe it's not necessary to install MU7 on 02/02, but they do include it
on the CD's (though I used my downloaded copy out of convenience).

--
Griff Miller II                   |                                           |
Manager of Information Technology | "I need to be the owner of all of         |
Positron Corporation              |  the files in /usr/kvm."                  |

2. information about struct dirent64

3. Solaris 8 patches, MU7 - where can I find it?

4. NIS and Security Questions

5. solaris 2.8 mu7 & netscape 6.2.3 -- core dump with java

6. HELP! Acessing HP 4M+ from Solaris 2.5.

7. URGENT: Oracle problem with MU7

8. RIVA TNT + X

9. MU7 Install Problem

10. Tivoli coredumps after MU7 and recommended

11. quota problems between solaris and solaris machines, and solaris and sunos4.1.3 machines.

12. Solaris 8 x86 install problems / was: Re: Solaris as Guest OS possible?

13. Font problems mixing Solaris 1 and Solaris 2