Cannot open system file etc/system

Post by Mike » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hello.  Has anyone ever come across a problem where a Sun Ultra 10 reports a
"cannot open system file etc/system" message during boot up, then reboots;
repeating the cycle continually?  The machine is using Solaris 2.6.  Any
helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Cannot open system file etc/system

Post by andrew_gar.. » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

boot -a

When bootup prompts you for /etc/system, type in "/dev/null".

This should get you up and running.

Best Regards,

Andrew Garman

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Cannot open system file etc/system:

> Hello.  Has anyone ever come across a problem where a Sun Ultra 10
reports a
> "cannot open system file etc/system" message during boot up, then
reboots;
> repeating the cycle continually?  The machine is using Solaris 2.6.  Any
> helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.
> Mike

Cannot open system file etc/system

Post by Fran » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi Mike

I never saw this special problem but I hope the following will help:

- bring the machine down to the ok-prompt (STOP-A)
- insert your installation CD and type 'boot cdrom -s' on the ok-prompt
- if the system is up, mount your boot disk (normally c0t0d0s0) to /mnt and
look in /mnt/etc for the file system

I'm not sure what you will find (i.e a directory /etc/sytem?). If nothing is
there, simply touch /etc/system or looking around on the installation disk
for a proper copy. I don't know what you have installed, so there may be
entries necessary (i.e. for SDS)

Frank

>Hello.  Has anyone ever come across a problem where a Sun Ultra 10 reports
>"cannot open system file etc/system" message during boot up, then reboots;
>repeating the cycle continually?  The machine is using Solaris 2.6.  Any
>helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

>Mike

1. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

    Some time ago I was involved in discussion on this news group regarding the
design of a new file system for Linux.  The main aim is to support dynamic size
changing by adding/removing partitions from the file system at run time without
interrupting processes that are using the file system.  Another major feature is
logging so that a system crash or power failure can be recovered from without
data loss or an excessive amount of time spent running FSCK.

  This project is now going ahead, if you are interested then please load up the
following URL: http://www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/enh-fs.html

Russell Coker

2. ipnat vs natd

3. Help with tar: Cannot open /dev/st0: Read-only file system

4. Matrox G200 Support

5. /sbin/ldconfig: can't open etc/ld.so.cache~ (Read-Only file system)

6. lynx: How to NEVER accept cookies?

7. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

8. UW imap server - unable to login

9. OpenWin Filemgr: 'cannot open file: too many files open' ?

10. kernel: Cannot read proc file system: 9 - Bad file descriptor

11. Command to list processes with open files on a mounted file system ?

12. File from distribution or recreate /etc/auth/system/files

13. file system operations on open files