Cdrecord-ProDVD now supports DVD+RW & DVD+R

Cdrecord-ProDVD now supports DVD+RW & DVD+R

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:06:59

For all who are interested in testing new software that may still have
problems, I am proud to announce that cdrecord-ProDVD started to include
Support for DVD+RW and DVD+R media. It currently has only been tested in
Ricoh based drives, so I don't know if it will work for e.g. the Sony DRU-500A
and the NEC-1100.

Please note that neither DVD+RW nor DVD+R Media support simulation writes
(what you get with cdrecord -dummy).

If you like to test, get a cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a11 binary from

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

Please don't forget to read the README in the same directory.

As DVD+RW works similar to a DVD-RAM, you may use it with the kernel level
UDF filesystem support in Solaris.

Usage in this case:

1) Call cdrecord dev=b,t,l -format -v

2) Create a new filesystem on the device (call mkfs_udfs)

3) Mount the device and write to it

4) Unmount the device

5) Call cdrecord dev=b,t,l -fix -v

6) Remove the media or mount it read-only

Note that I did not yet test this case as I am currently running
a Solaris 9 version that does not like Ricoh based DVD drives because
of their ATA standard deviations.

--

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. PCI Architecture Help

3. Can burn CDs but not DVDs with xcdroast/Cdrecord-ProDVD

4. IPF: hosts work, router doesn't

5. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

6. Howto: Compile Ghostscript 5.50

7. dvd+rw on Solaris with prodvd

8. SuSE 6.0 - PCMCIA Xircom CEM33

9. DVD RAMs or DVD RW are there any?

10. DVD/cd-rw fails to play DVD movies

11. DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's

12. Problems burning dvd-r and dvd-rw

13. Trouble changing the DVD-booktype width dvd+rw-booktype