MAKEDEV Problems

Post by Hamid Salemizad » Tue, 17 Oct 1995 04:00:00

|> Hi,
|>
|> I am upgrading my tape drive from an Exabyte 8200 8mm to a DEC DAT drive
|> and I'm having a problem with MAKEDEV.  The system sees the new drive
|> just fine while booting and using probe-scsi.  I can even use the drive
|> with tar to backup and restore a small file.  But if I do an mt -f
|> /dev/rst0 status it tells me I have an exabyte 8200, which I would
|> expect since I haven't changed the device driver.  When I run MAKEDEV I
|> get the following errors:
|>
|> sigma#
|> sigma#
|> sigma# cd /dev
|> sigma# MAKEDEV st
|> mknod: File exists
|> mknod: File exists
|> mknod: File exists
|> mknod: File exists
|> mknod: File exists
|> mknod: File exists
|> mknod: File exists
|> mknod: File exists
|> sigma#
|>
|> This is all fine and dandy but, if I knew what file exists I would delete
|> it.  I am running Solaris 1.1.
|>

|> Thanks,
|> Jason

Take a look at /dev/MAKEDEV. It's a shell script. If you look at the
case section:

st*)

You'll see what nodes it's trying to create.

--
If you could ask God one question, what would it be?

1. 2nd CDROM problem solved - MAKEDEV problem on 3.3

Thanks to those who replied.  I discovered that MAKEDEV in 3.3-release didn't
create the CD1 devices correclty.  Our server is still running 2.7 so I
tried "MAKEDEV cd1" there, got the major/minor numbers and did a series of
mknod commands on the 3.3 box. Now all works just fine.

I haven't had time yet to figure out why MAKEDEV on 3.3 doesn't do what it
should.  It just exits quietly with no complaints and no special files.

DennisN.

2. jumpstart and patchcluster

3. MAKEDEV Problem ...

4. Online dictionary

5. MAKEDEV problems

6. Updating a kernel - newbie.

7. Messed up and MAKEDEV -d 'd hdc and MAKEDEV hdc won't recreate

8. MegaRAID & Tape errors

9. Problems with SCSI tape and MAKEDEV

10. problem installing MAKEDEV pkg under RH62

11. MAKEDEV.ide..problem!

12. SCSI tape and MAKEDEV - newbie problem

13. What is ./MAKEDEV console