Need suggestions for Large Unix System

Post by Robert Garc » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

My name is Robert Garcia and work for Hi-Tech Logistics in the U.K..
We are looking to put in a large Unix box and would like suggestions
other than IBM or HP.  We are looking for multiple proccessors,
256-512 megs of RAM, multi-gig hard drives, fast networking,
preference to RISC systems.  Any suggestions on manufacturers,
suppliers, or specific models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
Robert Garcia

Post by Chris Morg » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> My name is Robert Garcia and work for Hi-Tech Logistics in the U.K..
> We are looking to put in a large Unix box and would like suggestions
> other than IBM or HP.  We are looking for multiple proccessors,
> 256-512 megs of RAM, multi-gig hard drives, fast networking,
> preference to RISC systems.  Any suggestions on manufacturers,
> suppliers, or specific models would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanx in advance.
> Robert Garcia

We here at BAeSEMA Ltd bought a Sun SPARCCentre2000 with 4cpus and around
800 Meg RAM. It has performed very nicely and we're now giving it a major
upgrade. The twin system busses offer good IO over many users. I'm not an
expert, but they claim the SMP scales up to 16CPUs. We're going up to 10
CPUs, 2 gig RAM and 90Gig disk soon, so its expandable past your initial
requirements. This box is a large one typically for your air-cooled
computer room. You may be able to meet your requirement with the
SPARCserver1000 but I haven't seen one of  them.

Interestingly we chose it I understand because Solaris had an edge on
OSF/1 which was the only contender due to software issues. On the other
hand we hav tons of VAXes and DEC PCs running WindowsNT which are
excellent pieces of kit as well, it Digital Unix which lost out 18 months
ago to Solaris and I think still might.

-------------------------------------
-- Chris Morgan, BAeSEMA Limited

-------------------------------------
--           Team Ada
-------------------------------------

1. Need suggestions for Large Unix Box

My name is Robert Garcia and work for Hi-Tech Logistics in the U.K..
We are looking to put in a large Unix box and would like suggestions
other than IBM or HP.  We are looking for multiple proccessors,
256-512 megs of RAM, multi-gig hard drives, fast networking,
preference to RISC systems.  Any suggestions on manufacturers,
suppliers, or specific models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
Robert Garcia

2. Sol2.3: Pkg Creation and Installation

3. Unix+Win95 Printing system setup suggestion needed

4. HELP!!! SLIP server setup

5. Help needed about large UNIX systems

6. trouble with gcc and ld on aix4.3.2.0

7. Suggestions on whole PC unix system

8. Linux newbie question

9. Suggestion for Systems Admin Textbook needed

10. Need Suggestions on Dual P6 system for Linux

11. need multi-system tape backup suggestions ....

12. Suggestion needed to compile motif on redhat linux 3.0.3 system

13. Best EISA/VESA (DX2-66) system? (Need suggestions)