e450 additional disk not recognized by OS

e450 additional disk not recognized by OS

Post by Randolp » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:28:55

Hello all,

I'm new to UNIX system administration and need help. I have an e450 to
which I've added 2 additional internal drives for a total of three
drives. The first drive contains the Solaris9 footprint and has been
running fine.  The format command does not list all 3 drives... only the
first at c0t0d0s0. After performing a reconfiguration boot, probe-scsi
lists all 3 drives but format still only lists the first drive. I have
run devfsadm, as well as disks and drvconfig. So what am I doing wrong?

e450 additional disk not recognized by OS

Post by aryzh » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:00:45

Try this:

Login as root
run these shell commands:

_INIT_RECONFIG=YES
export _INIT_RECONFIG
/etc/init.d/drvconfig
/etc/init.d/devlinks

or, simply:

/usr/sbin/drvconfig && /usr/sbin/disks

e450 additional disk not recognized by OS

Post by Randolp » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 02:48:49

Hello Aryzhov

Thanks for your reply... but these commands did not work. The 2
additional disks still appear with probe-scsi but do not appear in the
format command listing. I rebooted a couple times in the interim... once
with another reconfiguration boot. Any other ideas? Why would probe-scsi
list the disk yet it not show in the format listing? Can I manually
create the needed device files? Thanks for all the help.

e450 additional disk not recognized by OS

Post by Randolp » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 01:09:48

Anyone else with any insight to share?

e450 additional disk not recognized by OS

Post by aryzh » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:01:20

Would it be possible to post the output of probe-scsi-all command
and contents of /etc/path_to_inst file?

Thanks,
Andrei

Post by Bert Prefe » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:11:41

> Anyone else with any insight to share?

Are the disks seated all the way in?

Our E450 disks appeared to be in because the indicator
lights were on and I could get some recognition but
not enough to use.  (These were IBM disks)

Post by wam » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:32:39

> Hello all,

> I'm new to UNIX system administration and need help. I have an e450 to
> which I've added 2 additional internal drives for a total of three
> drives. The first drive contains the Solaris9 footprint and has been
> running fine.  The format command does not list all 3 drives... only the
> first at c0t0d0s0. After performing a reconfiguration boot, probe-scsi
> lists all 3 drives but format still only lists the first drive. I have
> run devfsadm, as well as disks and drvconfig. So what am I doing wrong?

man devfsadm
Solaris 8 or 9
just run as root #devfsadm -C -v

Solaris 2.6
#drvconfig & disks (as root)

e450 additional disk not recognized by OS

Post by Randolp » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:43:32

Hello all,

Thanks again for all the help. I have done all of the following:
   - (per Bert Prefect) confirmed all disks are fully seated pressing
     firmly to ensure
   - (per Wama) ran devfsadm -C -v as root. The '-v' option reported no
     changes to screen.
   - (per Aryzhov) I have posted the output from probe-scsi-all and the
     contents of the /etc/path_to_inst file at my website
     www.randolphwebb.com. The data exceeded this forums posting limit.
  probe-scsi-all output

    Target 6
      Unit 0 Removeable Read Only Device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103

    Target 0
      Unit 0  Disk  SEAGATE  ST336704LCV  4301
    Target 1
      Unit 0  Disk  SEAGATE  ST336704LCV  4301
    Target 2
      Unit 0  Disk  SEAGATE  ST336704LCV  4301

  /etc/path_to_inst  file contents located at www.randolphwebb.com

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

e450 additional disk not recognized by OS

Post by aryzh » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 02:33:22

Randolph,

I failed to open your homepage,
but in fact, as the disks are on the same controller,
there isnt much in /etc/path_to_inst to look for.

Well, since by now the problem looks *really* interesting,
keep trying the most silly things you may think of -
like, booting Solaris single-user from CD and checking if
it discovers all disks this way?

Maybe something is wrong with Solaris itself?

Did you try to boot with -v option as well?

How about removing disk 0?
Or swapping the disks with disk 0?

e450 additional disk not recognized by OS

Post by Bert Prefe » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 05:16:20

The E450 backplane is single-ended.

If your new drives are differential,
you will have hardware incompatibility.

1. trying to get additional disk (ie a d: drive) to be recognized by FreeBSD

I posted earlier and Kenneth Furge was kind enough to tell me to do a
/stand/sysinstall.  Well, I guess I'm really new to this cause I don't know
why I want to install FreeBSD again.  I just want to see my newly added to
the system 4G SCSI drive as additional space cause my old 1G SCSI drive is
90% used.

The other problem is that I did try to do the install, but in the end, it
asks where I want to install it from (ie CDROM, or external connection,
etc) and I don't want to boot to or from this disk, I just want more
storage space.  If I still have to install, please let me know and I will,
but it seems redundant.  Also, if I have to install, what distribution set
would I want (this is asked in /stand/sysinstall - running the Novice
installation).  I guess if I have to install, I want it the same as my 1G
disk .... is there some way to find out what that one is set up for?

Thanks again,
Maryann Roche

2. Signals and Process Groups

3. Additional Memory Not Recognised

4. How long does Crack 5 take to run?

5. HELP: DOS boot disk does not recognize my hard disk!!!

6. (no subject)

7. luxadm not working with E450 internal disk

8. Jammer Equivalent for Linux

9. NCR5380 SCSI CD Recognized by OS but Not by Setup HELP!!!

10. LinuxPPC install does not recognize Mac OS 9 formatted drives

11. Partitions created w/ OS/2 FdiskPM not recognized

12. slackware 2.2 installation problem: disks not recognized

13. linux does not recognize disk geometry