small help

Post by myhan.. » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hello all,
  I am new to solaris...
I know a little bit of Unix....
can anyone tell whats the differencs between these two......
Also i heard about " MakeFile"....what is this....

---Uday

small help

Post by Logan Sh » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>  I am new to solaris...
>I know a little bit of Unix....
>can anyone tell whats the differencs between these two......

UNIX used to be a product from AT&T, but this is no longer true.  Now
UNIX is, in effect, a trademark which vendors' products must pass a
compliance test in order to earn.  Solaris has passed this test, so it
is UNIX.  But several other operating systems have passed the test too,
so they are also UNIX.

See http://www.unix-systems.org/what_is_unix.html for more info.

Quote:>Also i heard about " MakeFile"....what is this....

A makefile is a file that is useful when building a bunch of files,
such as when compiling.  It describes how to build a bunch of files,
and for each one, it tells which other files it is built from.

You use the "make" command to build something according to a makefile,
and when you do, it figures out which things are out of date and which
are up-to-date, and it rebuilds only those pieces which need
rebuilding.

For example, assume you have two C source files and you want to compile
them into objects and then link the objects together into an
executable.  The makefile would describe how to build the executable
from the object files and how to build the object files from the source
files.  The first time you run "make", it would build the object files
from the source files and then the exectuable from the object files.
Then, if you change only one source file and run "make" again, then
"make" looks at the modification times on the files and realizes that
only one object file needs to be rebuilt, since the other is not out of
date.  So, it rebuilds the one object file, and then it relinks the two
object files (one just built and one built before, but both up-to-date)
into the executable.

makefiles can also be used for building other files besides just
executables, but that is the most common use.

For more information, type "man make".  If you want to learn how to
write makefiles, there is a short introductory book called "Managing
Projects With Make", by Oram and Talbott, which might be helpful.

  - Logan

small help

Post by Reinier Po » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>For more information, type "man make".  If you want to learn how to
>write makefiles, there is a short introductory book called "Managing
>Projects With Make", by Oram and Talbott, which might be helpful.

Some additional information:

If you want to use make on larger projects, be aware that the syntax
of Makefiles is quite tricky (lines starting with TABs have special
meaning!) and it is extremely difficult to maintain platform-independent
Makefiles by hand.  The tool most commonly used to do this is
GNU autoconf/automake, see

  http://www.slug.louisville.edu/pipermail/llug/2000-May/001967.html

Quote:>  - Logan

--
Reinier

1. small help

Hi all,
        I am using exceed....when i go to solaris through exceed(IDE)...
and open a terminal i have to execute a .profile manually....but when i use
telnet for my account (without IDE) the .profile gets executed
automatically......My Q? is that .....Is there any way that my .profile gets
executed in my IDE automatically instead of running manually...

Thanx in Advance,
Uday

2. Doing RAID0 dangerous ?

3. Small Help !!!

4. Help with PPP connection to Win NT

5. Small DB for a small computer

6. how to add a router

7. Small low-power motherboard for small linux server

8. backspace key in KDE

9. Which small linux for a small machine?

10. SW Inspections-How small is small?

11. Netscape small font too small question

12. ANNOUNCEMENT- Small Precludes (A small OpenGL demo program)

13. Small Shell for small scripts