Limit Telnet's to Host in /etc/hosts

Post by Daren L. Jan » Sun, 02 Oct 1994 20:14:11

Is it possible to limit Telnet Logins to host/IP's that are
specified in my host table under solaris 2.3? If so, how do I
configure this? Any info appreciated.

Daren L. Janes

Post by Matus Uhlar Softwa » Fri, 07 Oct 1994 17:37:28

-> Is it possible to limit Telnet Logins to host/IP's that are
-> specified in my host table under solaris 2.3? If so, how do I
-> configure this? Any info appreciated.

May I know, why ? This can help with solution.

The best way to do this is get sources of telnet and compile it,
if it doesn't accept  hostname/IP if it is not in file,
but the file should be not /etc/hosts...
--
Matus Uhlar,
Computer Centre of Technical University in Kosice, Slovakia

Limit Telnet's to Host in /etc/hosts

Post by Casper H.S. D » Tue, 11 Oct 1994 02:27:30

Quote:>Is it possible to limit Telnet Logins to host/IP's that are
>specified in my host table under solaris 2.3? If so, how do I
>configure this? Any info appreciated.

Limiting incoming connections is possible with tcp_wrapper,
which can be obtained from ftp.win.tue.nl.

Limiting outgoing connections is not possible except with
filtering routers.

Casper

1. 'host' command not using /etc/hosts?

I have several hostnames and addresses in /etc/hosts.  I can telnet and
ping to these hostnames no problem.  However, the 'host' command does
not recognize the hostnames.  I am not connected to a dns at this point,
nor am I running named (I think).

Doesn't the host command basically call gethostbyname()?  I wrote a
simple program and gethostbyname() returns the addresses ok.

I've tried switching the "order bind, hosts" line in host.conf, no change.
What's the problem here?

Thanks much.

--
== Steve Chauvin                                                             ==
== The return address in this message will bounce.                           ==

2. State Machine Applets - help needed tonight.

3. /etc/hosts (or NIS host map): official-host-name vs nicknames

4. Umsdos file system installation

5. /etc/hosts.deny & /etc/hosts.allow ??

6. Pkg_Manage

7. /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow

8. Locking mechanisms / fcntl.c locks.c

9. Can't ping the host name or host IP address from host.

10. can't ping host or host IP from host ?

11. SOLUTIONS TO: /etc/rc.net, /etc/host.conf and 'ps' problems

12. Sendmail 8.6.12: using /etc/hosts to send to domainless hosts

13. Which order for bind,host in /etc/hosts.conf?