Idle - Timeout

Post by Logan Sh » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>How to setup the idle timeout in Solaris 2.6 env ?

Idle timeout for what?  The automounter has a timeout for filesystems
that aren't used, CDE has a timeout for idle sessions after which it
locks the screen, power management has idle times for the various
devices it can power down, aspppd (the PPP daemon) has an idle timeout
for PPP sessions, the IDE disks have an idle timeout (at least on x86),
and even the system itself has an autoshutdown feature.

Also, the Korn shell (and I believe the Bourne Again Shell too) have a
variable called TMOUT that can be set to a number of seconds after
which the shell will exit automatically.

  - Logan

Idle - Timeout

Post by Joshu » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 11:36:09

Hi All,

Good day,

How to setup the idle timeout in Solaris 2.6 env ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Joshua.

Idle - Timeout

Post by Joshu » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 14:14:01

Idle timeout , what i meant was the autologout of users whose session is not
active for more than 10 minutes.

~Joshua~

> >How to setup the idle timeout in Solaris 2.6 env ?

> Idle timeout for what?  The automounter has a timeout for filesystems
> that aren't used, CDE has a timeout for idle sessions after which it
> locks the screen, power management has idle times for the various
> devices it can power down, aspppd (the PPP daemon) has an idle timeout
> for PPP sessions, the IDE disks have an idle timeout (at least on x86),
> and even the system itself has an autoshutdown feature.

> Also, the Korn shell (and I believe the Bourne Again Shell too) have a
> variable called TMOUT that can be set to a number of seconds after
> which the shell will exit automatically.

>   - Logan

Idle - Timeout

Post by Randy Styk » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 15:04:08

> Idle timeout , what i meant was the autologout of users whose session is not
> active for more than 10 minutes.

Many shells, such as ksh, support the TMOUT environment
variable to log off users at a shell prompt.  There are
scripts that can be ueed in other situations.  Plus our
company wrote/sells a product called LOGMON to log off
idle users.  This software monitors the cpu usage for
each user and their child processes, so we can be sure
the user really is idle (unlike other solutions).  You
can vary the inactivity time by user, time of day, etc.

or visit http://www.logmon.com/ne   Thanks!

| 4N165 Wood Dale Road           Phone:  630/941-7767             |
| Addison, Illinois  60101 USA   Fax:    630/941-7714             |

1. Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

Hello All,

When I telnet or ssh out from my Sun Blade running SunOS 5.9, my
sessions seem to time out rather quickly.  I know it's not the far end
that is disconnecting the sessions, so it must be my workstation.  Is
there someway to set the idle-timeout on outbound (client side) telnet
and ssh connections?

Thank you for the help.

Pete

2. 'nenscript' works once per boot?

3. What controls idle timeout?

4. Locking down lilo / lilo.conf

5. How to disable the idle timeout of my xterm ?

6. Linux-friendly ISPs in Raleigh, NC, USA?

7. iijppp Idle Timeout

9. user accounting & idle timeout

10. Idle timeout for PPP client

11. overall idle timeout