unix vs ms windows client

Post by Billy Gat » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am in need of a way to get text from the windows notepad into vi or
emacs.

I am forced to use a win 3.11 (not wfw) client to connect to our Solaris
server.

I am using x term  as the client application.

And, I am growing very tired of retyping.  Can someone kindly point me
in the right direction.

thanks

Ric

unix vs ms windows client

Post by Peter Marela » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I am in need of a way to get text from the windows notepad into vi or
> emacs.

> I am forced to use a win 3.11 (not wfw) client to connect to our Solaris
> server.

> I am using x term  as the client application.

> And, I am growing very tired of retyping.  Can someone kindly point me
> in the right direction.

You can use an X server for windows such as eXceed by hummingbird that
allows you to copy the windows clipboard to X..

So you can simple mark the text in notepad, and put the middle button
the mouse in an x term to paste it.

Peter Marelas

unix vs ms windows client

Post by Barry Adam » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I am in need of a way to get text from the windows notepad into vi or
> emacs.

> I am forced to use a win 3.11 (not wfw) client to connect to our Solaris
> server.

  What sort of connection are you using, ideally you should get an
TCP stack for windows (say Trumpet Winsock), and then ftp the files
over in ascii mode, this requires your PC to have a network card
(they`re only 30 quid) and a ethernet connection to the unix box.
If you connecting using the serial port, use a terminal capable of
using kermit on your PC, and install (or get someone to install)
C-Kermit on the Unix box (http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/unix.html)

Barry Adams

unix vs ms windows client

Post by Juan R. Guzma » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > I am in need of a way to get text from the windows notepad into vi or
> > emacs.

> > I am forced to use a win 3.11 (not wfw) client to connect to our Solaris
> > server.

>   What sort of connection are you using, ideally you should get an
> TCP stack for windows (say Trumpet Winsock), and then ftp the files
> over in ascii mode, this requires your PC to have a network card
> (they`re only 30 quid) and a ethernet connection to the unix box.
> If you connecting using the serial port, use a terminal capable of
> using kermit on your PC, and install (or get someone to install)
> C-Kermit on the Unix box (http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/unix.html)

> Barry Adams

I use hummingbird's telnet and I just have to cut and paste between
notepad and telnet while I'm in vi.  I don't have emacs but I don't see
why it shouldn't work.  If anybody knows how this cut and paste process
works between unix and windows could you share that info...thanks,

1. X windows vs MS-windows 3.1 (MS wins)

Hi Linuxers,

I currently tried to install Xfree windows on my Linux box..
(Kernel 1.0, slackware distribution, 386 sx 16MHZ (don't laugh)
 8 MB mem, 256K VGA card (don't laugh again), vga monitor
(not multisync) )

Using the monochrome X windows driver which requires only 64K of
video memory, I noticed that X windows were very slow compared to
MS-windows..I also had problems moving my mouse while waiting for
a window to open..Also the background screen in X windows was much
smaller than the background screen in Ms-Win...I am not a
windows fan (any kind of windows require a lot of system resources and
fast expensive hardware)..but I think X win could be better..

                                                        Regards,
                                                       Constantine

*"HELLAS=Science,Arts,Civilization,Democracy"                     *

2. Assertion failed header.version == FCGI_VERSION

3. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

4. busybox and tinylogin

5. File Server for Windows clients (was: Window NT vs x86 solaris vs SCO?)

6. For Newbies like me

7. Unix/linux "installation user" vs MS Windows "installation user".

8. Packets forwarding

9. Opinions: unix career vs ms windows

10. X-Window client for MS Windows

11. MS windows X window client - is it possible...

12. X-Window client for MS Windows

13. X-windows vs MS-windows