Solaris on a Laptop

Post by jbreme » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I would like to run Solaris on a Toshiba Laptop with a 366PII, and am
wondering if this is just a bad idea, or if not, which one to use. I
would expect that 2.6 might be the cheapest in terms of mem usage, but
don't know if 7 or 8 might have better Intel support.

Any ideas?

Solaris on a Laptop

Post by Stuart Bigga » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I would like to run Solaris on a Toshiba Laptop with a 366PII, and am
> wondering if this is just a bad idea, or if not, which one to use. I
> would expect that 2.6 might be the cheapest in terms of mem usage, but
> don't know if 7 or 8 might have better Intel support.

> Any ideas?

Check the following:

http://www.ynp.net/Solaris86/

There is a link to Solaris on a Tecra - may or may not be completely
true for your machine but should give you some good ideas.  You will
probably need a 3rd party Xserver.  PCMCIA support is limited but
functional for many Toshibas (those that can set the PCMCIA controller
to PCIC mode in the bios).

I would suggest a min of 128 MB of RAM - I run x86 Solaris 7 on an
IBM notebook with 224 MB - top shows about 100 MB free when running
OpenWindows, Netscape and a few windows.  CDE uses more so it really
depends on what you will be running.  With a big graphics app I have
started swapping...

Solaris 8 should have better IDE disk performance if the Toshibe
correctly does all the UDMA stuff according to what I've read
(no experience).

Stuart

1. Laptop To Laptop Data Transfer

I have two laptops both of them with SuSE Linux.
What is the best way to transfer data from one computer
to the other computer?

What software do I need to make this work using
 the serial port or parallel port?

Or is it better to borrow / scrounge 2 PCMCIA ethercards
cards ?

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Peter

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. UltraStore 24F problem

3. Linux Laptop config database?? Linux Laptop NG?

4. Gaining FTP Access

5. Laptop to laptop

6. tli and t_rcv and T_MORE

7. problem install redhat in my laptop gateway 9550 (laptop won't boot from CD)

8. New HD - no space left?

9. The answer to your laptop questions....Sun's first ever laptop!

10. laptop<->beamer : refresh frequency and svideo-out on my laptop

11. [laptop] Getting the network up on my laptop...

12. ping finds server from laptop, but not laptop from server!