how to run Solaris 2 non-networked?

Post by Griff Mille » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 00:58:29

What's a clean, one-switch way to run Solaris 2 in a standalone/non-networked
configuration?

In SunOS 4.1.4, if I remember correctly, what I would do is make /etc/hostname.le0
contain "noname" and then reboot, after which the machine was happy without a network
(no annoying messages about the link being down and so on) .

Is there a similar thing I can do in Solaris 2?

--
Griff Miller II
Manager of Information Technology      "Beware of those who seek to win an

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:04:01

> What's a clean, one-switch way to run Solaris 2 in a standalone/non-networked
> configuration?
> In SunOS 4.1.4, if I remember correctly, what I would do is make /etc/hostname.le0
> contain "noname" and then reboot, after which the machine was happy without a network
> (no annoying messages about the link being down and so on) .
> Is there a similar thing I can do in Solaris 2?

Just like 4.1.4.  Disable any interfaces, and make sure nothing's using
them.  Even on SunOS 4.x, you would have had to make sure yp and other
networking services weren't running, or you'd still have a problem.

You could run /usr/sbin/sys-unconfig and have it wipe out all your
networking and let you reenter everything on the next boot.

Or you could remove /etc/hostname.* to avoid interfaces being brought up
at boot, and copy /etc/nsswitch.files to /etc/nsswitch.conf to keep the
libraries from using NIS or DNS services.

That would take care of most items...

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >