Sun PCI Quad Ethernet card compatibility with a PC

Sun PCI Quad Ethernet card compatibility with a PC

Post by Rob » Thu, 10 May 2001 20:47:13

Is it possible to use a Sun 10/100Mbps Quad Ethernet PCI card in a Pentium
PC?
If not is it possible to use a single port card instead?

Thanks.

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Thu, 10 May 2001 23:43:28

> Is it possible to use a Sun 10/100Mbps Quad Ethernet PCI card in a Pentium
> PC?

Theoretically, PCI is PCI. There different speeds of PCI, 33 & 66 MHz IIRC,
and I don't know how much of a problem that kind of thing would be. However,
if drivers exist for the card in the operating system, it should work.

Quote:> If not is it possible to use a single port card instead?

Same answer. If there are drivers.

Your local CompUSA sells quality, Windows and Solaris-supported, single-port
PCI 10/100 Ethernet cards for $20-$30. Why use a Sun card that costs an arm
and a leg? I can see the advantage of a quad card, but not a single. You could
sell the single and buy a dozen normal designed-for-x86 cards.