Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Post by Jack E. T » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 18:01:35



Is there a traceroute utility that works under Solaris 2.3?  Where can I get
it?  Thank you in advance for your response.

Jack Tse
Network Support
San Francisco State University

 
 
 

Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Post by Casper H.S. D » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 18:06:52



Quote:>Is there a traceroute utility that works under Solaris 2.3?  Where can I get
>it?  Thank you in advance for your response.

The standard traceroute should compile and run fine under Solaris 2.x.

Casper

 
 
 

Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Post by Operat » Sun, 10 Apr 1994 04:54:04




: >Is there a traceroute utility that works under Solaris 2.3?  Where can I get
: >it?  Thank you in advance for your response.

: The standard traceroute should compile and run fine under Solaris 2.x.

: Casper

OK, but you must to config the next files :

/etc/defaultdomain
/etc/defaultrouter

--
Marcial A. Navea T.                             |         Valparaiso

Estudiante Ingenieria Civil Informatica         |    
Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria        |      

 
 
 

Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Post by Denton Gent » Sun, 10 Apr 1994 07:37:47





>: >Is there a traceroute utility that works under Solaris 2.3?  Where can I get
>: >it?  Thank you in advance for your response.

>: The standard traceroute should compile and run fine under Solaris 2.x.

>: Casper

  Also there is a traceroute.sol2.tar.gz on opcom.sun.ca:/pub/tars which will compile without using source compatibility packages.
                                Denny
 
 
 

Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Post by Norm You » Wed, 13 Apr 1994 04:52:07






> >: >Is there a traceroute utility that works under Solaris 2.3?  Where can I get
> >: >it?  Thank you in advance for your response.

> >: The standard traceroute should compile and run fine under Solaris 2.x.

> >: Casper

>   Also there is a traceroute.sol2.tar.gz on opcom.sun.ca:/pub/tars which will compile without using source compatibility packages.
>                            Denny

I've tried this version of traceroute on x86-Solaris 2.1.  It compiles cleanly
but won't work from this host.

I get the following error:  Packet length mismatch: 10240, 40

I think this has been discussed before but I don't remember how to fix this.
Can anyone offer any advice?

PS.  Traceroute works fine from SunOS boxes on the same network with the same
default gateway etc.

---

Communications   |  Tel: 1-613-990-8779  |  Fax: 1-613-990-7987
Research Centre  |
Ottawa, Ontario  |                 No Disclaimer, No Quote

 
 
 

Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Post by Monica Mendez Miqu » Thu, 14 Apr 1994 06:29:22



Quote:>Is there a traceroute utility that works under Solaris 2.3?

yes,

Quote:> Where can I get it?

pith.uoregon.edu:/pub/Solaris2.x/src/traceroute.sol2.tar.gz
pith.uoregon.edu:/pub/Solaris2.x/src/traceroute.tar.Z
 
 
 

Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Post by Paul Gra » Tue, 19 Apr 1994 09:14:44


Has anyone succeeded in creating a traceroute under Solaris2.3 that
produces useful output when invoked with the gateway (-g) option?  I've
tried recompiling the so-called standard traceroute to run in
compatibility mode, porting that forward to not use the compatibility
stuff, and the code from opcom.sun.ca that was recently suggested in
another post - the result in all cases is output full of "*" and nothing
else:

# ./traceroute -g ftp.uu.net opcom.sun.ca
traceroute to opcom.sun.ca (142.77.1.61), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  * * *
 2  * * *
    .
    .
    .
and so on.

Straight traceroute's (even to the two sites in the example above) work
correctly.

Any ideas?  Send me email - I'll post a summary if we get this solved!

Thanks for any light you may be able to shed....

-paul

--
=========================================================================
   Paul S. Grant           Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

                           Cambridge, MA  02138  USA
=========================================================================

 
 
 

Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Post by W. Richard Steve » Tue, 19 Apr 1994 20:56:26


Quote:> Has anyone succeeded in creating a traceroute under Solaris 2.3 that
> produces useful output when invoked with the gateway (-g) option?

The -g option specifies a loose source route and the way it's coded
in traceroute, it doesn't work under newer systems (Solaris 2.x, 4.4BSD,
BSD/386, etc.).

The problem is that traceroute builds the source route option and passes
it to the kernel using the IP_OPTIONS socket option.  But the newer
systems don't include these options in the outgoing IP datagram if the
IP_HDRINCL option is also set for a SOCK_RAW Internet socket, which it is
for traceroute.

The way around this is for traceroute to take the loose source route and
build it into the IP header *itself*, instead of passing it as an option
to the kernel.  This is doable, but nontrivial, and I haven't tried it.

        Rich Stevens

 
 
 

Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Post by Paul Gra » Wed, 20 Apr 1994 07:22:02


Here is the definitive word on using the gateway option (-g) to
traceroute under Solaris2.3 - you can't do it (easily).  I asked:


> Has anyone succeeded in creating a traceroute under Solaris2.3 that
> produces useful output when invoked with the gateway (-g) option?  I've
> tried recompiling the so-called standard traceroute to run in
> compatibility mode, porting that forward to not use the compatibility
> stuff, and the code from opcom.sun.ca that was recently suggested in
> another post - the result in all cases is output full of "*" and nothing
> else:

and Denton Gentry sent me email:

>> Date: Sun, 17 Apr 1994 23:08:21 +0800


>> Subject: Re: Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3
>> Content-Length: 876
>>  It appears that IP_OPTIONS on an IPPROTO_RAW socket are not properly
>> handled by icmp. Essentially the extra words for the loose source
>> route option that -g puts in the IP header do not make it out on the
>> wire.  This is bugid #1153049, marked as fixed and integrated in
>> Solaris 2.4 prealpha10. The -g option to traceroute will not work on
>> Solaris 2.3.
>>                                Denny

I'll wait for Solaris2.4.

-paul
--
=========================================================================
   Paul S. Grant           Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

   617 495 7167            Cambridge, MA  02138  USA
=========================================================================

 
 
 

Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3

Post by Edwin All » Thu, 21 Apr 1994 05:49:18



>Here is the definitive word on using the gateway option (-g) to
>traceroute under Solaris2.3 - you can't do it (easily).  I asked:

>> Has anyone succeeded in creating a traceroute under Solaris2.3 that
>> produces useful output when invoked with the gateway (-g) option?  I've
>> tried recompiling the so-called standard traceroute to run in
>> compatibility mode, porting that forward to not use the compatibility
>> stuff, and the code from opcom.sun.ca that was recently suggested in
>> another post - the result in all cases is output full of "*" and nothing
>> else:
>and Denton Gentry sent me email:
>>> Date: Sun, 17 Apr 1994 23:08:21 +0800


>>> Subject: Re: Need traceroute for Solaris 2.3
>>> Content-Length: 876
>>>  It appears that IP_OPTIONS on an IPPROTO_RAW socket are not properly
>>> handled by icmp. Essentially the extra words for the loose source
>>> route option that -g puts in the IP header do not make it out on the
>>> wire.  This is bugid #1153049, marked as fixed and integrated in
>>> Solaris 2.4 prealpha10. The -g option to traceroute will not work on
>>> Solaris 2.3.
>>>                            Denny
>I'll wait for Solaris2.4.
>-paul
>--
>=========================================================================
>   Paul S. Grant           Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

>   617 495 7167            Cambridge, MA  02138  USA
>=========================================================================

If you really need it, you can try the workaround version on
ftp.csri.toronto.edu:/pub/edwin/traceroute.tar

Please, let me know if it doesn't do what you want it to do.

Edwin
===========
Edwin Allum
CS Lab, University of Toronto

Phone: 416-978-8715 Fax: 416-978-4765

 
 
 

1. Solaris 2.3/4/5 all do this w/ traceroute - ICMP port unreachable

traceroute to thingy.batch.com (206.42.93.10), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  204.193.144.1  4.593 ms  2.671 ms  3.27 ms
 2  204.193.145.1  30.009 ms  30.664 ms  29.756 ms
 3  192.41.177.150  31 ms  31.063 ms  30.494 ms
 4  137.39.128.45  40.525 ms  44.684 ms  40.64 ms
 5  137.39.33.130  40.623 ms  110.379 ms  45.906 ms
 6  137.39.100.78  69.912 ms  37.313 ms  39.713 ms
 7  137.39.11.1  52.821 ms  45.663 ms  38.854 ms
 8  192.41.177.85  42.001 ms  92.705 ms  49.333 ms
 9  205.252.5.24  88.846 ms  43.215 ms  40.659 ms
10  206.161.140.69  42.728 ms  56.664 ms  44.778 ms
11  206.42.80.1  219.006 ms  214.96 ms  101.089 ms
12  206.42.80.163  47.261 ms  58.328 ms  47.848 ms
13  206.42.93.1  86.461 ms  88.136 ms  132.766 ms
14  206.42.93.10  102.442 ms *  82.87 ms

Every Solaris 2 machine I have tested so far does this.  The * on the second
packet bounced off the Solaris target is accompanied by an ICMP port
unreachable message.  Every single Solaris box I have tested does this, for
the second packet traceroute sends to it.  I haven't yet found another
non-Solaris system that behaves this way.  SunOS 4.1.3 doesn't appear to
have this behavior.

What gives?
--

   Internet   %%%%%%%%%%% 301-322-5095 % V.34/ISDN %%%%%%%%%%%   Internet
     Services %% Serving Washington DC, No.VA, and Maryland %%     Services

2. FA: Compaq DS10 466 MHz Alphaserver w/ 21264 DEC Alpha Processor

3. Solaris 2.3 - traceroute

4. trouble installing from SCSI CDRW

5. traceroute for solaris 2.3

6. REV

7. Traceroute for Solaris 2.3

8. Spoiled by Visual C++

9. Wanted: traceroute for Solaris 2.3

10. HELP: Solaris 2.3 <---> Solaris 2.3 PPP link problems

11. HELP: Solaris 2.3 <---> Solaris 2.3 PPP link Problems

12. HELP - Need The Solaris 2.3 equivalent of Solaris 1.1's "bar"

13. Help with Pageview under 2.3 (Re: Display Postscript X Solaris 2.3)