Ultra10 , Ultra5 bus differnces.

Post by eyal havi » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi All.
--------

I wrote an application on Ultra-10 machine and when I run it on Ultra5
machine , the application
is crashing on bus error ( Invalid address alignment ) although on
Ultra10 it's running good !!!.

My questions:
 - Why my application crashing on bus error on the Ultra5 platform and
not on the ultra10 platform ?
 - Is the bus of Ultra5 different than the Ultra10 bus ?
 - Is there's a way to fix bus problems so my application would run on
both machines ?

A N Y  help will be appreciate ,
please replay to:

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Martin Hepwort » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi All.
> --------

> I wrote an application on Ultra-10 machine and when I run it on Ultra5
> machine , the application
> is crashing on bus error ( Invalid address alignment ) although on
> Ultra10 it's running good !!!.

> My questions:
>  - Why my application crashing on bus error on the Ultra5 platform and
> not on the ultra10 platform ?
>  - Is the bus of Ultra5 different than the Ultra10 bus ?
>  - Is there's a way to fix bus problems so my application would run on
> both machines ?

> A N Y  help will be appreciate ,
> please replay to:

Eyal
The problem you have here has nothing to do with the hardware inside the
SUNs. The problem is to do with your program running around memory and
not aligning a pointer/struct correctly. Could have shown up before, but
may be different SOlaris versions or patch level. Using dbx etc you
should be able to trace what's going with you code and fix it.

Martin

1. Ultra10 , Ultra5 memory bus differneces.

Hi All.
--------

I wrote an application on Ultra-10 machine and when I run it on Ultra5
machine , the application
is crashing on bus error ( Invalid address alignment ) although on
Ultra10 it's running good !!!.

My questions:
 - Why my application crashing on bus error on the Ultra5 platform and
not on the ultra10 platform ?
 - Is the bus of Ultra5 different than the Ultra10 bus ?
 - Is there's a way to fix bus problems so my application would run on
both machines ?

A N Y  help will be appreciate ,
please replay to:

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Newbie: IBM Thinkpad 560 and Xfree86 3.2

3. xmame.x11 on Sun Ultra5/Ultra10...

4. FreeBSD + NT-- anyone done it?

5. Does the Ultra5/Ultra10 OBP lock the ATA disk password ?

6. tar to ZIP under Solaris contd......

7. Likes to buy Ultra5/Ultra10

8. compare tar-archive and filesystem and create diff-file

9. differnces b/w solaris 7 and solaris 8?

10. What's differnce between V8, V8+ and V9

11. Differnce between ADAPTEC SCSI model??

12. CPIO vs TAR ??? what is the differnce??

13. Changing Hostname differnces between LinuxConf and NetCfg