Help me recover files after newfs... can it be done?

Help me recover files after newfs... can it be done?

Post by Henrik Schmiedic » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

     Hello,
I foolishly typed:

   newfs -v -i 8192 /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7

on the wrong 400 meg file system. I realized what I had done about a
half second after I hit return and interupted the process. When I try
to mount the file system I get:

  mount: /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7 is not this fstype.

Is there anyway I can - at least partially - recover the files on the
file system? If so, how? The data must still be there, there was not
enough time to overwrite everything.

Thanks,

   - henrik
--
Henrik Schmiediche, Dept. of Statistics, Texas A&M, College Station, TX 77843

Help me recover files after newfs... can it be done?

Post by Henrik Schmiedic » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Nevermind...

   fsck -Fufs -o b=32 /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7

did the trick.

    - henrik

>     Hello,
>I foolishly typed:

>   newfs -v -i 8192 /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7

>on the wrong 400 meg file system. I realized what I had done about a
>half second after I hit return and interupted the process. When I try
>to mount the file system I get:

>  mount: /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7 is not this fstype.

>Is there anyway I can - at least partially - recover the files on the
>file system? If so, how? The data must still be there, there was not
>enough time to overwrite everything.

>Thanks,

>   - henrik
>--
>Henrik Schmiediche, Dept. of Statistics, Texas A&M, College Station, TX 77843

--
Henrik Schmiediche, Dept. of Statistics, Texas A&M, College Station, TX 77843

1. I need help recovering files on a Sun after newfs has been run

A coworker was swapping some disks among systems and got confused about which
disk he had where.  He ran 'newfs' on a disk that contained important files
(that naturally he had failed to back up before he did all this).  Is there
any hope for recovery of these files?

Hopefully,
George

2. Getting ide-scsi to work in Debian

3. Changing defaults in koffice apps

4. Recovering files from a Newfs'd partition

5. Re\: Help\: Cron - trim a file daily

6. Can old file system be recovered after newfs?

7. c2 security

8. newfs killed my data - any chance to recover

9. Recover data from a harddrive that a newfs was run on.

10. HELP! Recovering DOS superblock??

11. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

12. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial