NIS compatability under NIS+ - automounting problem

NIS compatability under NIS+ - automounting problem

Post by Steven Dunst » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm running NIS+ in NIS compatability mode on our SPARCserver
(Solaris 2.4), but I cannot get a DEC Alpha (OSF 1) NIS client to automount
using the auto.master and auto.home tables.

On the server (Sun) my auto_master looks like this:

        % niscat auto_master.org_dir
        +auto_master
        /net -hosts             -nosuid
        /home auto_home

On the client (DEC) a ypcat of auto.master produces this:

        % ypcat auto.master

        -hosts  -nosuid
        auto_home

It appears the first column in the table is missing!

I think this may be the reason that automount on the DEC won't start.

If I ypcat any other table e.g. passwd or hosts, they're OK.

If I dump the NIS+ auto_* tables to a file and copy to /etc on the
DEC and run automount telling it to look at local tables rather than NIS
tables, it works OK. However, that somewhat defeats the object of having
tables on a central server i.e. I'd have to update the DEC each time I
changed anything in auto_* on the Sun.

Has anyone had any similar problems/solutions?

Is it a Sun problem, or am I missing something on the DEC?

Steve Dunstan

Computer Support Manager
Centre for the Epidemiology of Infectious Disease
Department of Zoology
University of Oxford
South Parks Road
Oxford
UK

Steve Dunstan

Computer Support Manager

Post by Vartan Narini » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>On the client (DEC) a ypcat of auto.master produces this:

>    % ypcat auto.master

>    -hosts  -nosuid
>    auto_home

>It appears the first column in the table is missing!

It's not missing, you're only seeing the values. To display the keys as well
you have to do ypcat -k (at least on the Sun, I don't know much about DECs.)

Quote:>If I ypcat any other table e.g. passwd or hosts, they're OK.

The reason is that the key is duplicated as a value in the passwd and host
databases.

Quote:>I think this may be the reason that automount on the DEC won't start.

Now, are you sure the DEC is not looking for auto.home and auto.master?
These are quite different from auto_home and auto_master...

--
Vartan

1. NIS+ NIS Compatability problems

    We are running Solaris 2.3 with NIS+ in NIS compatability mode
    and are having some problems with PC-NFS, it seems that the
    PC's only recognize the hosts that are in the NIS+ servers
    host table and that information from DNS is not forwarded to
    the PC's.  Anyone run into simular problems?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

Sik
--
Stein I. Krav   !  Lately, there has been an alarming increase in the

2. kppp & account rules ???

3. NIS+ / NIS-compatability mode

4. Server Compromised through SSH or...?

5. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

6. images to video

7. RFH: SunOS NIS users can't "automount" their home directory from NIS+ Server

8. panic when trying to install FBSD 2.2.1

9. Automount from NIS+ to NIS

10. NIS/NIS+ & Automount

11. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????

12. automount reading sun's automount file or NIS map

13. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server