We want to buy a modem for sun Any suggestion?

We want to buy a modem for sun Any suggestion?

Post by Kin Hung » Sat, 12 Nov 1994 07:12:54

We have a Sun Spare 10 workstation and running solaris 2.3.  We want
to buy a modem.  Can anyone give me some information?  I found the
28.8K modem for mac is about $150 in Mac catalog.  Can we use this
modem in sun?  or we need a specific modem. Is it very hard to setup
the modem?

Thank in advance!:>

Kin H. AU

We want to buy a modem for sun Any suggestion?

Post by William S. Tayl » Sun, 13 Nov 1994 08:52:58

Quote:>We have a Sun Spare 10 workstation and running solaris 2.3.  We want
>to buy a modem.  Can anyone give me some information?  I found the
>28.8K modem for mac is about $150 in Mac catalog.  Can we use this
>modem in sun?  or we need a specific modem. Is it very hard to setup
>the modem?

>Thank in advance!:>

>Kin H. AU

I recommend the Courier V.34 modem line from U.S. Robotics.  I currently
have four of them attached to a SCSI terminal server on a SS1000 running
Solaris 2.3.  It was easy to install them, and I have not had any
problems.  Plus, they have been quite speedy.

Scott.

Post by Vidi » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 06:55:08

<We have a Sun Spare 10 workstation and running solaris 2.3.  We want
<to buy a modem.  Can anyone give me some information?  I found the
<28.8K modem for mac is about $150 in Mac catalog.  Can we use this
<modem in sun?  or we need a specific modem. Is it very hard to setup
<the modem?

The compatibility issue for 28.8 modems is there.  Not all 28.8 modems
work with each other.  But, the 14.4 modems do.

I suggest the Sportster 14.4, which is a great little modem and easy to
connect.  You might look at the Sportster 28.8, but it is more than $150.
--

phone: (608) 273-8262  fax: (608) 273-8719  voice-mail: (800) 426-6488 ext 6293
System Administrator - Extrel FTMS - Madison WI.   [An era has come to an end.]

We want to buy a modem for sun Any suggestion?

Post by Max Heffl » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 12:05:44

Quote:>The compatibility issue for 28.8 modems is there.  Not all 28.8 modems
>work with each other.  But, the 14.4 modems do.
>I suggest the Sportster 14.4, which is a great little modem and easy to
>connect.  You might look at the Sportster 28.8, but it is more than $150.

I just ordered two Sportster 28.8 and the literature claimed that it
does both V.34 and V.FC, which is all of the compatibility I need at
28.8.

  / // /// // /// // /// // /// // /// // /// // ///

Post by Chester H. L » Sat, 19 Nov 1994 00:15:35

Quote:> We have a Sun Spare 10 workstation and running solaris 2.3.  We want
> to buy a modem.  Can anyone give me some information?  I found the
> 28.8K modem for mac is about $150 in Mac catalog.  Can we use this
> modem in sun?  or we need a specific modem. Is it very hard to setup
> the modem?

It depends on what kind of usage you are looking for from the modem.

For dial-up (getty) terminal mode and constant PPP/SLIP link, you
need a very robust, crash-free modem. USRobotics Courier (NOT
Sporster), Telebit, and ZyXEL meet your requirement.

For dial-out (cu or tip), I guess any "al cheapo" modem will do
just fine. Yes, Sporster can do well for dial-out. Other modems which
fit into this category are Supra, Zoom, PSI, etc.

Trust me. I've been wrestling with modems for 5 years.

Mackey Mouse BBS               FirstClass Server in Taipei, Taiwan
886-2-3627273 (14,400bps)
886-2-3929997 (14,400bps)

Post by Jonathan H » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 19:40:46

> For dial-up (getty) terminal mode and constant PPP/SLIP link, you
> need a very robust, crash-free modem. USRobotics Courier (NOT
> Sporster), Telebit, and ZyXEL meet your requirement.

> Trust me. I've been wrestling with modems for 5 years.

Some people think highly of AT&T Comsphere modems also.  I would not
dismiss USR Sportsters for bidirectional PPP though if you're on a
tight budget - I've got one on a Solaris box here running dp-ppp and
it's solid (I would say rock solid but that would be inviting disaster).
However, since it's only v.32bis Sportster, I am planning on replacing
it with a v.34 Courier.  Couriers are great, I've got a couple and everyone
I know who has one says they just plug them in and forget about them.  There
is a thread going on in comp.dcom.modems about bugs with retraining in
USR modems though (both Sportster and Courier).

Post by Sandwich Mak » Fri, 25 Nov 1994 02:08:47

"> For dial-up (getty) terminal mode and constant PPP/SLIP link, you
"> need a very robust, crash-free modem. USRobotics Courier (NOT
"> Sporster), Telebit, and ZyXEL meet your requirement.
">
"> Trust me. I've been wrestling with modems for 5 years.
"
"Some people think highly of AT&T Comsphere modems also.

-i- think highly of my at&t dataport.  if you can wait a few months
[it's going through beta right now], you can get a v.34 dataport for a
street price of ~$200 +-, much less than a comsphere.  i'm waiting!
--
                although you should be doing something productive
                with your life, you are instead wasting your time