backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar & mt ???

backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar & mt ???

Post by root » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

How can I backup multiple tar - files on a streamer using tar & mt
mt - program to manage the tape
tar - backup program
I am working on a Solaris 2.5 netserver

thanks for help !!!!

Post by Nigel Tampl » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>How can I backup multiple tar - files on a streamer using tar & mt
>mt - program to manage the tape
>tar - backup program
>I am working on a Solaris 2.5 netserver
>thanks for help !!!!

Specify the tar output tape device as /dev/rmt/*n, where the n means
non-rewinding.

ie

inserting a blank tape and doing:-

tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0n ./ex1

tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0n ./ex2

should create 2 tarfiles on the tape, one after the other.

Now consider the tape is ejected and later re-inserted, you want to
see whats in the second tar file.

mt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsf 1

fsf (forwrd skip) 1 will skip past the first tar file positioning the
tape at the start of the second tar file.

tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0n

I use this technique to store multiple ufsdumps on one tape.

Cheers,