Upgrade info needed for Netra I to Solaris 2.7

Upgrade info needed for Netra I to Solaris 2.7

Post by Wil Willi » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have anecodotal information that  installing Solaris 2.7 on a Sun
Netra I (Sparc 5 arc.) is a bad idea in that it will not run well.

Is this true?  What's the latest Solaris that will run efficiently on
this box?

thank you,

Wil Willis
--
Information is not knowledge - Frank Zappa 1940-1993

Upgrade info needed for Netra I to Solaris 2.7

Post by Jerr » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

if you don't use the GUI, then solaris 7 is probably fine. BTW, solaris 2.7
doesn't exist. sun jumps from 2.6 to 7 for some mysterious reasons.

Quote:

> I have anecodotal information that  installing Solaris 2.7 on a Sun
> Netra I (Sparc 5 arc.) is a bad idea in that it will not run well.

> Is this true?  What's the latest Solaris that will run efficiently on
> this box?

> thank you,

> Wil Willis
> --
> Information is not knowledge - Frank Zappa 1940-1993

Upgrade info needed for Netra I to Solaris 2.7

Post by Luke » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

As long as u don't use the graphical interface to configure sendmail,
everything else is fine. Viruswall start acting up and asking u to
register, doing so eliminates the problem. Some other weird things but
generally everything else works.

The system has been chugging along fine since I installed 2.7 over 2.6 on
Netra 3.2

--
---
hmmm... again?

1. Netra T1, Solaris 2.6 & 2.8, Jumpstart from Solaris 2.7

Hi out there!

sorry for annoying you another time with my problems. i don't work with
solaris that long, so be patient with me, ok?

-first the setup:

1 x netra t1 with solaris 2.7, acting as a jumpstart server, twice 18G
hdd
8 x netra t1, empty, unpatched, 1 disk 18G

-then what i am supposed to do:

all the 8 clean netras should be jumpstarted and installed by the
install server. we want to have 6 different setups: solaris 2.6, 2.7 and
2.8, each of them full or just core. sounds easy, eh?

my filesystem on the installer looks about like this:

/data/jumpstart/2.6
/data/jumpstart/2.6/.config/sysidcfg
/data/jumpstart/2.6/.software/Solaris_2.6/ ... (cd image)
/data/jumpstart/2.7 (similar to 2.6, this works)
/data/jumpstart/2.8 (similar to 2.6 and 2.7, no try yet)

-what WORKS:

solaris 2.7 installs fine. no problem. core and full installation are
ok.

-now my problems (lotta):

after finishing 2.7, i tried with 2.6. after different problems pulling
the cd over to the installer (see another thread), i achieved to run
./setup_install_server properly. to set up the installer to install 2.6
on one of the netras, i did this:

# cd /data/jumpstart/2.6/.software/Solaris_2.6/Tools/
# ./add_install_client -c babieca:/data/jumpstart/2.6 -p
babieca:/data/jumpstart/2.6/.config/ ws0002 sun4u

this worked fine, no problems occured.

i booted up the netra to be installed using "boot net - install". the
boot image was found and loaded, it seemed to install something
(unfortunately i was not watching the output all the time), and suddenly
stopped saying "hme0 - link down - cable problem?".

i called the hosting center (1 mile from here) and asked if they played
around with cabling, but they didnt. it was connected and the link was
up.

-what i found out until now:
after few questions in this newsgroup, kind people tried to help me.
obviously there seems to be a problem with 2.6 and processors running at

-help!
*i need to patch the mini-root, right? but HOW? and where to get the
patches?
*is my approach to seperate the 3 different os-directories on the
jumpstart server ok? i also share the 3 dirs seperately, this works
fine, i guess. are there other possibilities? nicer approaches?
*what else doesn't work with those netras? are there known
problems/issues?
*does anybody know an url or some document where all this is described?

i know linux quite well. i touched solaris only when i really had to. by
now, i know much more about solaris than some weeks ago, i learned much,
but still i think i don't know the best resources of information there
are. so please, forgive me my (newbie?)questions and provide help. i'd
be very happy, really ... :)

thank you in advance

andr

2. How to write protocol stacks

3. xalan/xeres files for Solaris 2.7 on Netra Server

4. Korganizer, Kail, Konqueror Bookmark toolbar.. 3.1 vs 3.1.1

5. (Revised)Tip on Upgrading solaris 2.7 to 2.8

6. Win95 keyboard is killing my Linux!!!!

7. Upgrading to Solaris 2.7

8. newbie NFS question

9. upgrade from Ultra-2 to Ultra-10, and Solaris 2.6 to 2.7

10. Solaris 2.7 need to disable a driver and I am not sure how.

11. Need Help on SOLARIS 2.7 for compilation...

12. Need precompiled NAT for 64-bit Solaris 2.7

13. Need a FAX server for Solaris 2.6 or 2.7