HP C1553A Problems

Post by Ketil Kirker » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I've recently acquired an HP C1553A Dat autoloader for use
with a (currently) SS4/Solaris 2.5.

The DAT drive itself works OK, however I can't for the life of me get
the autoloader to work reliably. Using HPs 'mtx' utility, and having setup
both the drive and /kernel/drv/st.conf as per HP's instrucions, I'm getting
console messages like these when trying to manipluate the changer :

(esp0):
Disconnected command timeout for Target 5.0

The mtx utility outputs

Recovered Error : No Sense

If anyone has seen, and resolved these problems, I'd be very happy to
hear about it.

Regards,

---Ketil Kirkerud, Schibsted Nett A/S

HP C1553A Problems

Post by Al Slat » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I've recently acquired an HP C1553A Dat autoloader for use
: with a (currently) SS4/Solaris 2.5.

: The DAT drive itself works OK, however I can't for the life of me get
: the autoloader to work reliably. Using HPs 'mtx' utility, and having setup
: both the drive and /kernel/drv/st.conf as per HP's instrucions, I'm getting
: console messages like these when trying to manipluate the changer :

: (esp0):
: Disconnected command timeout for Target 5.0

: The mtx utility outputs

: Recovered Error : No Sense

: If anyone has seen, and resolved these problems, I'd be very happy to
: hear about it.

Feature Alert.

You shouldn't use the data device file for mtx. Poor st gets a bit confused.
What you should do is twiddle the switch on the back (the one beside SCSI-id)
to be 5. Then the robotics says it's a tape drive at reconfigure...so you
get another device file...

To find which you should be using do something like:

where X is the SCSI-id. Then use that device file with mtx via the -d option.

i.e you should then find that..

mtx -d /dev/rmt/0 -S

or whatever works fine.

hope this helps,

al
(not speaking for HP...)

HP C1553A Problems

Post by Ketil Kirker » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Al Slater writes:

>> [Describing problem, and symptoms with C1553A DAT Autoloader]

> Feature Alert.

[...]

> To find which you should be using do something like:

> where X is the SCSI-id. Then use that device file with mtx via the -d option.

> i.e you should then find that..

> mtx -d /dev/rmt/0 -S

> or whatever works fine.

Thanks for your reply, but, alas, it din't help.

My (current) setup is as follows :

Sun SS4, Sol 2.5, HP1553A, as scsi id 5, Autoloader switch is set
to 5 (1 on 2 off 3 on 4 off), The switches on the DAT drive itself
are all ON, except 4, 7 and 8.

Herre is the output from what you suggested :

# cd /dev/rmt

# mtx -d /dev/rmt/1 -S
# mtx -d /dev/rmt/1 -I
Hardware Error : No additional sense information
#

With this showing on the console :

(esp0):
        Disconnected command timeout for Target 5.1

Currently /kernel/drv/st.conf is empty - according to the info I found at
http://www.dmo.hp.com/tape/c_sun.htm this should work ok.

I've tried various st.conf entries, from various sources, with little
success.

If anyone has a working set of st.conf-entries, with switch settings, for
Solaris 2.5, I'd be more than grateful.

Post by Al Slat » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Thanks for your reply, but, alas, it din't help.

Foo, it's something else then :-)

: My (current) setup is as follows :

: Sun SS4, Sol 2.5, HP1553A, as scsi id 5, Autoloader switch is set
: to 5 (1 on 2 off 3 on 4 off), The switches on the DAT drive itself
: are all ON, except 4, 7 and 8.

Hmm. You might like to try your switches at 11001100 and see if
that makes any difference -- it tweaks the scsi behaviour just
slightly.

: Herre is the output from what you suggested :

: # cd /dev/rmt

: lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          85 Jul 18 12:55 1 -> ../../devices/ \

: # mtx -d /dev/rmt/1 -S
: # mtx -d /dev/rmt/1 -I
: Hardware Error : No additional sense information
: #

: With this showing on the console :

: (esp0):
:         Disconnected command timeout for Target 5.1

: Currently /kernel/drv/st.conf is empty - according to the info I found at
: http://www.dmo.hp.com/tape/c_sun.htm this should work ok.

Yikes! You should only _not_ enter anything into st.conf if you
have Solaris 1 (ie SunOS 4.1.x), in which case you would be
poking st_conf.c and rebuilding your kernel in any case...

You almost certainly won't get the compression device files to
work amongst other niceties unless you edit in the
suggested changes...

: I've tried various st.conf entries, from various sources, with little
: success.

: If anyone has a working set of st.conf-entries, with switch settings, for
: Solaris 2.5, I'd be more than grateful.

The switch settings 11101100 or 11001100 are what should be okay.

tape-config-list=
        "HP      C1553A", "HP DDS 4mm autoloader", "HP-DAT2";

HP-DAT2 = 1, 0x34, 0, 0xd239, 4, 0x00, 0x13, 0x24, 0x3, 3;

name="st" class="scsi"
        target=X lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
        target=X lun=1;

Where X == 5 in your case.

A reconfigure boot after the above mods would be helpful.

In particular, the density codes given above make a big difference --
you get DC on/off by using device files, i.e if you use the above you'll
find that...

        /dev/rmt/xl     density == 0x00 (DC off!)
        /dev/rmt/xm     density == 0x13 (DDS1/DDS-DC)
        /dev/rmt/xh     density == 0x24 (DDS2)
        /dev/rmt/x[uc]  density == 0x3  (DC on)

The only other thing I can think of is that the timeout builtin isn't
particularly suited to your system, there is a version of mtx available
that hasn't got a hardwired timeout and will let you adb it so that
you can tune it to your system..

cheers,
al
(not speaking for HP..)

HP C1553A Problems

Post by Earl Walla » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>: Thanks for your reply, but, alas, it din't help.

>Foo, it's something else then :-)

I have the C1553A on my SS5 running Solaris 2.5 and couldn't get past the
"Disconnected command timeout for Target .." errors either.  When I called
HP, they said mtx isn't supported on Solaris 2.4 or 2.5 (and I assume
2.5.1 is out too ;-)  They suggested I buy the Legato package if I wanted
to move the little cartridges around in my autoloader.  Somehow paying
many thousands of dollars to buy the Legato product when the "free" mtx
command could work just seems crazy (and expensive).

Quote:>The only other thing I can think of is that the timeout builtin isn't
>particularly suited to your system, there is a version of mtx available

Do you have a path to the location of this modified mtx command?  Better
still, since HP doesn't appear to support this command anymore, perhaps
we can get the source code to it?

-earlw

HP C1553A Problems

Post by Troy Barb » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

|> >: Thanks for your reply, but, alas, it din't help.
|> >
|> >Foo, it's something else then :-)
|>
|> I have the C1553A on my SS5 running Solaris 2.5 and couldn't get past the
[....text deleted.....]
|> Do you have a path to the location of this modified mtx command?  Better
|> still, since HP doesn't appear to support this command anymore, perhaps
|> we can get the source code to it?
|>
|> -earlw

I'm using mtx to drive a C1553A on my SS20 under Solaris 2.5, *but*
it's the older version (1.1) of mtx -- version 2.0 didn't work.
Together with a couple of shell scripts, this allows Solstice Backup
(aka Legato NetWorker) to automatically switch tapes as needed.

I got it from

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/surestore/dat/
                                       mtx/sun/mtx_v1.1/Solaris_2.2_2.3/mtx

My st.conf has the following entries:

tape-config-list=
        "HP      C1553A  ",   "HP C1553A 4mm DAT",          "HP_DAT";
HP_DAT          =       1,0x34,0,0x19679,1,0x0,0;

Hope this works for you...

Troy Barbee
Physics Department, LLNL