Display setting problem.

Post by Nanda Hullahall » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:05:30

Hi!
I am trying to install Solaris 8 on a notebook NEC versa SX model. As
per NEC, the notebook uses Trident 9388 video chip set. Since this chip
is not listed in the solaris 8 hardware list, I tried different
combinations, but none of them are working properly. The only option
that works is the 16 color VGA option but the display is too bad to look
at.
Any one able to configure the display properly for the NEC versa SX
model?
Thanks in advance.

Nanda Hullahalli

Display setting problem.

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 04:34:46

> Hi!
> I am trying to install Solaris 8 on a notebook NEC versa SX model. As
> per NEC, the notebook uses Trident 9388 video chip set. Since this chip
> is not listed in the solaris 8 hardware list, I tried different
> combinations, but none of them are working properly. The only option
> that works is the 16 color VGA option but the display is too bad to look
> at.
> Any one able to configure the display properly for the NEC versa SX
> model?

If it's not in the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List), it's generally not
supported, and no amount of tweaking will make it work. Sorry.

You might have some luck with a third-party X server software, but at this
time my brain has dumped, and I can't for the life of me remember any of
them...