Installing Solarix 8 x86 on new computer...

Installing Solarix 8 x86 on new computer...

Post by Jason N » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi !

I am planning to install Solaris 8 x86 on my friend's computer, the
problem is, he doesn't want to re-partition his hard drive therefore
he's gonna get a new one for solaris use only.

now, my question is, how can i setup the solaris on the new harddisk
while he can use the multi boot function supplied by solaris and let it
see the PC partition ? since it's on a different disk...

thanks in advance !!

Jason

Installing Solarix 8 x86 on new computer...

Post by Hello Worl » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

u can use system commander. it works fine on my win98 partition with solaris
installed in a seperate disk.

Quote:> Hi !

> I am planning to install Solaris 8 x86 on my friend's computer, the
> problem is, he doesn't want to re-partition his hard drive therefore
> he's gonna get a new one for solaris use only.

> now, my question is, how can i setup the solaris on the new harddisk
> while he can use the multi boot function supplied by solaris and let it
> see the PC partition ? since it's on a different disk...

> thanks in advance !!

> Jason

Installing Solarix 8 x86 on new computer...

Post by steve_nu.. » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi folks,
    Just wondering if you folks who have already
received your Solaris x86 installation kits could
answer a question:

    Can the boot partition for Sol x86 be at a
partition that is past the 8 G boundary on a
drive? I'm going to be sharing this disk with
Windoze NT, and it will take up the first 9 Gigs.
Does anyone see any problems with this?

Thanks,
    - Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Installing Solarix 8 x86 on new computer...

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>    Can the boot partition for Sol x86 be at a
>partition that is past the 8 G boundary on a
>drive? I'm going to be sharing this disk with
>Windoze NT, and it will take up the first 9 Gigs.
>Does anyone see any problems with this?

As long as you're install Solaris 8 and not somethng
earlier, it should be fine.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Bruce Adle » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> >    Can the boot partition for Sol x86 be at a
> >partition that is past the 8 G boundary on a
> >drive? I'm going to be sharing this disk with
> >Windoze NT, and it will take up the first 9 Gigs.
> >Does anyone see any problems with this?

> As long as you're install Solaris 8 and not somethng
> earlier, it should be fine.

I think you're overly optimistic. I believe there are many systems
with *old* BIOSes which can not boot from (any) partitions beyond the
8GB boundary. This is a BIOS limitation not a Solaris limitation. There
are in fact also various old BIOSes which have problems at the 4GB, 2GB,
and 528MB boundaries.

Installing Solarix 8 x86 on new computer...

Post by klin.. » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

So has anybody installed Solaris 8 successfully. I have a Compaq AP500,
listed in Sol7 and Sol8 HCLs, which installs easily Solaris 7. However,
Solaris 8 is proving to be a major headache. I've tried both WebStart
and Interactive installs, I've tried creating two fdisk partitions...

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

> "Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer"

> > > Can the boot partition for Sol x86 be at a
> > >partition that is past the 8 G boundary on a
> > >drive? I'm going to be sharing this disk with
> > >Windoze NT, and it will take up the first 9 Gigs.
> > >Does anyone see any problems with this?

> > As long as you're install Solaris 8 and not somethng
> > earlier, it should be fine.

> I think you're overly optimistic. I believe there are many systems
> with *old* BIOSes which can not boot from (any) partitions beyond the
> 8GB boundary. This is a BIOS limitation not a Solaris limitation.
There
> are in fact also various old BIOSes which have problems at the 4GB,
2GB,
> and 528MB boundaries.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Installing Solarix 8 x86 on new computer...

Post by Jason N » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Seems everyone has some problem wwith solaris 8 running on
compaqs...perhpas they want you to use Alpha instead of
solaris....haha...

Jason

> So has anybody installed Solaris 8 successfully. I have a Compaq AP500,
> listed in Sol7 and Sol8 HCLs, which installs easily Solaris 7. However,
> Solaris 8 is proving to be a major headache. I've tried both WebStart
> and Interactive installs, I've tried creating two fdisk partitions...

> Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> Ken

> > "Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer"

> > > As long as you're install Solaris 8 and not somethng
> > > earlier, it should be fine.

> > I think you're overly optimistic. I believe there are many systems
> > with *old* BIOSes which can not boot from (any) partitions beyond the
> > 8GB boundary. This is a BIOS limitation not a Solaris limitation.
> There
> > are in fact also various old BIOSes which have problems at the 4GB,
> 2GB,
> > and 528MB boundaries.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. install linux on old computer or buy pre-installed new computer?

Two questions:

1.  Whether to, how to (if at all possible) install linux on an older
Pentium 266 mhz, 64 mb ram, with 6 gb hard drive, 36.6 US Robotics
modem, Diamond Monster Sound MX400 card, and Canon S450 printer.  This
machine is USB.  (Does the latest kernel even support USB?)  Everthing
except the sound card and printer is *old*...

2.  Would it be easier to just buy a new machine with linux already
installed on it?  I've seen a number of decent machines at less than
$500 advertised at ZDnet.com.

If I can save myself $500 I would, but if linux doesn't support the
older parts on this computer I'm willing to spend that much.

Please send replies to my e-mail address.

Thank you,

Joomi Lee

2. Hylafax (Flexfax) and Megahertz XJ288 pcmcia

3. Some Solarix X86 questions from new owner

4. HACMP mutual configurations passwd update

5. Moving OS to new x86 computer

6. Multifunction Printers

7. Solarix/x86 2.6 with LILO?

8. Paging on system events...

9. How to set up Background image on solarix x86 2.6.1?

10. Anyone know how to add locales to a Solarix 2.5 x86 machine?

11. Solarix x86 & SMC EtherPower II 100Meg Full Duplex

12. nfs on Solarix 2.4 x86

13. solarix for x86