getting round a PROM password?

Post by Peter Clinc » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 21:41:01

I rescued a SPARC LX from the rubbish bin that is, according to the
dumping department, fully functional but no longer any use to them.  I
have some low grade jobs it could do so powered it up, but it stops
wanting a PROM password which I don't know, and nor does the guy that
was getting rid of it.  Given I assume it's precisely to stop people
breaking into the system I rather assume it's non-trivial getting around
this, but just in case that's not the case, is there an easy way round?

Ta, Pete.
--
Peter Clinch                    University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637   Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

getting round a PROM password?

Post by Mark Rit » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:25:33

can you make any suggestions for the card and software the array will cost
me $0

mark

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:20:21

> I rescued a SPARC LX from the rubbish bin that is, according to the
> dumping department, fully functional but no longer any use to them.  I
> have some low grade jobs it could do so powered it up, but it stops
> wanting a PROM password which I don't know, and nor does the guy that
> was getting rid of it.  Given I assume it's precisely to stop people
> breaking into the system I rather assume it's non-trivial getting around
> this, but just in case that's not the case, is there an easy way round?

        Yes, put the system back in the trash where you found it.  That's where
it belongs.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:47:38

> I rescued a SPARC LX from the rubbish bin that is, according to the
> dumping department, fully functional but no longer any use to them.  I
> have some low grade jobs it could do so powered it up, but it stops
> wanting a PROM password which I don't know, and nor does the guy that
> was getting rid of it.  Given I assume it's precisely to stop people
> breaking into the system I rather assume it's non-trivial getting around
> this, but just in case that's not the case, is there an easy way round?

Does the machine boot otherwise?  (or does the prom keep you from even
booting the machine?)

If the machine at least boots, one of the safest ways is then to pull
the drive, mount it in another machine, and then wipe out the root
passwd.

Put it back in the original machine, b -s, then from single-user issue
'eeprom security-mode=none'.

From there, you should be able to get to the OBP with no problem.

Post by kizm.. » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 01:44:22

> > I rescued a SPARC LX from the rubbish bin that is, according to the
> > dumping department, fully functional but no longer any use to them.  I
> > have some low grade jobs it could do so powered it up, but it stops
> > wanting a PROM password which I don't know, and nor does the guy that
> > was getting rid of it.  Given I assume it's precisely to stop people
> > breaking into the system I rather assume it's non-trivial getting around
> > this, but just in case that's not the case, is there an easy way round?

>         Yes, put the system back in the trash where you found it.  That's where
> it belongs.

If you ask nicely, Don has a spiffy new sunblade at home that he'll sell
you for pretty short money...

Post by Jack Willia » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 05:22:52

> I rescued a SPARC LX from the rubbish bin that is, according to the
> dumping department, fully functional but no longer any use to them.  I
> have some low grade jobs it could do so powered it up, but it stops
> wanting a PROM password which I don't know, and nor does the guy that
> was getting rid of it.  Given I assume it's precisely to stop people
> breaking into the system I rather assume it's non-trivial getting around
> this, but just in case that's not the case, is there an easy way round?

> Ta, Pete.

You can find all the*details on prom security in the Open Boot
docs on http://www.veryComputer.com/. The short form is:

1. Try to let the system boot without intervention (STOP-A). If
successful, and you know the root password, you can use eeprom to set
security-mode to none. This will remove openboot security.

2. If the system does not boot but stops at the prom, try  using boot
or go with no parameters. Depending on the security mode, you may be
able to boot the machine without a password. If that works, use eeprom
as above.

3. If the system boots but you don't know the root password, pull the
drive and either recover the password or reload the OS and use eeprom
as above. You might want to do a touch /reconfigure on the new build
system before you shut down so it recofigures the devices on for this
system. You will also need to try and do on the same architecture
which may be difficult.

If you can't reset the security mode, you may be stuck since this is
encoded in the prom. As sun says in the Open Boot 2.x docs:

"It is important to remember your security password. If you forget
this password, you cannot use your system; you will have to call Sun's
customer support service to make your machine bootable again."

Good Luck.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 05:37:13

>>I rescued a SPARC LX from the rubbish bin that is, according to the
>>dumping department, fully functional but no longer any use to them.  I
>>have some low grade jobs it could do so powered it up, but it stops
>>wanting a PROM password which I don't know, and nor does the guy that
>>was getting rid of it.  Given I assume it's precisely to stop people
>>breaking into the system I rather assume it's non-trivial getting around
>>this, but just in case that's not the case, is there an easy way round?

>>Ta, Pete.

> You can find all the*details on prom security in the Open Boot
> docs on http://www.veryComputer.com/. The short form is:

> 1. Try to let the system boot without intervention (STOP-A). If
> successful, and you know the root password, you can use eeprom to set
> security-mode to none. This will remove openboot security.

> 2. If the system does not boot but stops at the prom, try  using boot
> or go with no parameters. Depending on the security mode, you may be
> able to boot the machine without a password. If that works, use eeprom
> as above.

> 3. If the system boots but you don't know the root password, pull the
> drive and either recover the password or reload the OS and use eeprom
> as above. You might want to do a touch /reconfigure on the new build
> system before you shut down so it recofigures the devices on for this
> system. You will also need to try and do on the same architecture
> which may be difficult.

> If you can't reset the security mode, you may be stuck since this is
> encoded in the prom. As sun says in the Open Boot 2.x docs:

> "It is important to remember your security password. If you forget
> this password, you cannot use your system; you will have to call Sun's
> customer support service to make your machine bootable again."

        Just another reason why PROM passwords shouldn't be set as a matter of
course.  They should only be set when absolutely necessary.  In most
cases, the lock on the server room door is sufficient.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD       *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"

getting round a PROM password?

Post by Rob Stampf » Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:36:27

Quote:>I rescued a SPARC LX from the rubbish bin that is, according to the
>dumping department, fully functional but no longer any use to them.  I
>have some low grade jobs it could do so powered it up, but it stops
>wanting a PROM password which I don't know, and nor does the guy that
>was getting rid of it.  Given I assume it's precisely to stop people
>breaking into the system I rather assume it's non-trivial getting around
>this, but just in case that's not the case, is there an easy way round?

A mechanism someone once suggested in the distant past:

1. With LX powered down, remove the PROM plug it into a bare socket.
   Snip pin 1 (data line) off the socket and plug both back into
   the LX.

2. Power up -- You'll get a PROM error.  Rewrite the PROM from the
   LX Boot Monitor.  Power down.  Remove the bad socket and plug
   the PROM back into the LX directly as it was before.

3. Power up -- You'll get a PROM error.  Rewrite the PROM from the
   Boot Monitor.

Voila.  No more password.

Max the LX out with 128 Megs (32 Meg SIMMs in the first two slots,
16 Meg SIMMs in the other four), load your OS, and put it in service.
It won't run Netscape worth a darn, but it will do a credible job
as something like a firewall box.

Rob

Post by Peter Clinc » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:07:44

> A mechanism someone once suggested in the distant past:

<snip>

Quote:> Max the LX out with 128 Megs (32 Meg SIMMs in the first two slots,
> 16 Meg SIMMs in the other four), load your OS, and put it in service.
> It won't run Netscape worth a darn, but it will do a credible job
> as something like a firewall box.

It'll be a better "wait and have occasional DICOM images fired at it"
box than the SPARC2 with 48 Mb RAM currently doing that job!

Thanks for the tips...

Pete.
--

Post by Peter Clinc » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:10:12

> You can find all the*details on prom security in the Open Boot
> docs on http://www.veryComputer.com/. The short form is:

<snip>

Thanks Jack.  It won't even get into the ok prompt as it is, so the more
traumatic versions look like the way forwards.  I'll give them a try.

Ta, Pete.
--

Post by Darren Dunha » Wed, 01 May 2002 02:05:22

> A mechanism someone once suggested in the distant past:
> 1. With LX powered down, remove the PROM plug it into a bare socket.
>    Snip pin 1 (data line) off the socket and plug both back into
>    the LX.
> 2. Power up -- You'll get a PROM error.  Rewrite the PROM from the
>    LX Boot Monitor.  Power down.  Remove the bad socket and plug
>    the PROM back into the LX directly as it was before.
> 3. Power up -- You'll get a PROM error.  Rewrite the PROM from the
>    Boot Monitor.

A mechanism I just did last week on a Sparc10.

1) powerup
2) Pull eeprom
3) Type 'n' for new command mode  (no password prompt)
4) Push eeprom
5) type 'setenv command-mode none'
6) power off and test.

It's probably dangerous, but it succeeded for me on the sparc 10.  No
wire clipping and (this time) nothing broke.

Post by Peter Clinc » Wed, 01 May 2002 20:51:38

> A mechanism I just did last week on a Sparc10.
<snip>
> It's probably dangerous, but it succeeded for me on the sparc 10.  No
> wire clipping and (this time) nothing broke.

Worst case would be I don't get to use a freebie I wasn't expecting, so
only a little time to lose...

thanks, Pete.
--
Peter Clinch                    University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637   Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177              Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

1. round & round with Lilo

May the gods have mercy.

I've spent two full days now trying to install Redhat linux 5.0.

For some reason I can't seem to get passed the Lilo install.  The install
program crashes as soon as the lilo section starts.  I get some oblique
message like 'installation terminating abnormaly... received string 11'.

I'm running a pentiium 180 using:

Master IDE hard drive 2.5 Gb Conner
Slave IDE hard drive .5 Gb Seagate
Mistumi 2x through soundblaster 16.

I'm trying to install to the slave drive which I've partitioned for linux

First of all I've never been able to get the install program to recognize
the cd... even with the notes about the soundblaster 16 being configured for
ide port 3.  (I believe I fixed that).

So then I tried installing from the master hard drive.  Things crashed when
Lilo tried to install.  Then I completely diconnected the cd.  Same problem.

RT

2. Root Logins

3. PROM Password.

4. Which browser?

5. PROM Password help

6. Slackware: problems with emacs, inn, and mirror

7. HELP - PROM password (SS2)

8. Redhat documentation, support is lacking

9. PROM password problems

10. HOW TO: Change PROM password

11. PROM Password help

12. SparcStation 2 PROM Password

13. Setting security mode and prom password in C