Solaris 2.5 x86 not seeing all memory

Post by E. Malcolm Cros » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I've just installed Solaris x86 2.5 on my machine and it's not seeing all
of my ram.

System:
486DX-2 66 (ami bios on motherboard)
20meg ram
adaptec 1542cf
1 gb micropolis
345 mb maxtor
toshiba cd-rom
soundblaster
3com 3c509
orchid fahrenhiet 1280 va/vlb

When I run 'top' on my machine it reports seeing 15mb of ram instead of
20mb. How can I make my machine see all of my memory? Is 'top' giving
me a true reading? If not how can I check to see how much memory the
system is seeing? I'm currently using 'top 5.4'. I'm also upgrading the
system to 32mb today, so I'd really like the system to see that.

thanks

Post by Tom Morni » Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: When I run 'top' on my machine it reports seeing 15mb of ram instead of
: 20mb. How can I make my machine see all of my memory? Is 'top' giving
: me a true reading? If not how can I check to see how much memory the
: system is seeing? I'm currently using 'top 5.4'. I'm also upgrading the
: system to 32mb today, so I'd really like the system to see that.

top reports on user memory not used by the kernel...

-- Tom Mornini
-- InfoMania

Post by Karel Goder » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: When I run 'top' on my machine it reports seeing 15mb of ram instead of
: 20mb. How can I make my machine see all of my memory? Is 'top' giving
: me a true reading? If not how can I check to see how much memory the
: system is seeing? I'm currently using 'top 5.4'. I'm also upgrading the
: system to 32mb today, so I'd really like the system to see that.

The missing 5 MB are taken by the kernel. Don't worry, this 'effect' also
exists on the machines over here :)

--
 Karel Goderis

 VUB - Vrije Universiteit Brussel

 IGUANA - Indepent Group of Unix-alikes and Networking activists

 BEST - Board of European Students of Technology

1. Solaris 2.5 x86 only sees 28M of 32M of physical memory

Hi,

I just recently installed Solaris 2.5 x86 on my PC which has 32M
of physical memory. I also gave it 128M of swap space. However
when running Openwin, workstation info shows physical memory to
be 28M while virtual memory is 147M.

Top reports 26M of real memory and 147M of swap.

Could someone explain to me where the missing 4M of memory are?

Thanks,

Evan

Dept. CIS - Syracuse University      http://www.cat.syr.edu/~evan
CASE Research Center                 (315) 423-7063

2. XFREE_FRAMEBUFFER?

3. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

4. Newbie question: string concatenation in csh

5. Solaris 2.5/x86 only report 44Mb physical memory out of 48Mb

6. Q: Rumba problem with WindowsNT

7. how to install solaris 2.5 x86 to 2.5 gig WD HD

8. 1.1.19: sound only on left channel?

9. CD-ROM can not mounted under Solaris 2.5 x86

10. Can not boot after install solaris x86(2.5 and 2.6) using AHA-1542CP.

11. lp problem with Solaris x86 2.5 (not with 2.4)

12. network interface hang with Solaris x86 2.5, not with 2.4

13. Solaris 2.5, x86, cancelation of cond_wait will not unlock mutex