SunPC 4.1 Install on Solaris 2.5

Post by Charles H. Charde » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have SunPC 4.1 for Solaris, but it will not install on Solaris 2.5.
Is there a version that will install? I have not found any patches for either
products on SUN's WWW.sun.com/sunsoft or references to the two products working
together.

Thank you,
Charles Carden

SunPC 4.1 Install on Solaris 2.5

Post by Stuart.Big.. » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have SunPC 4.1 for Solaris, but it will not install on Solaris 2.5.
>Is there a version that will install? I have not found any patches for either
>products on SUN's WWW.sun.com/sunsoft or references to the two products working
>together.

>Thank you,
>Charles Carden

I think you need:

Patch-ID# 102924-02
Date: Dec/14/95

Solaris Release: 2.3, 2.4, 2.5

SunOS Release: 5.3, 5.4, 5.5

Unbundled Product: SunPC

Hope this helps,

Stuart Biggar

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have SunPC 4.1 for Solaris, but it will not install on Solaris 2.5.
>Is there a version that will install? I have not found any patches for either
>products on SUN's WWW.sun.com/sunsoft or references to the two products working
>together.

as someone mentioned, you need a patch to get it to work.

What they didn't mention is that

1. you need a support contract to get the patch
2. the patch doesn't explicitly mention "this is what you need to run
   sunpc under 2.5"

but if you bought sunpc within ... 90(?) days, you have an implicit suport
contract for it, via the warantee. Just call 1800-USA4SUN, and ask for the
latest sunpc 4.1 patch to be shipped to you.

1. Installing MS Office95 with SunPC 4.1

Has anyone had any positive experiences with this combination?  I have
encountered several problems with installing Office in SunPC.  The
error message I get is:

        Setup could not write to the file:
        'L:\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE'.
        Ensure that the destination drive has enough free space.

The odd thing is, each time I run SETUP, I get a different filename
that SETUP could not write to.  The files have the proper ownership
(the user account running SunPC).  Eventually, after several attempts,
Office will finally successfully install, without any errors.

I have set the memory size to the maximum of 16MB, and the C container
file is 128MB.  I am installing Office to a drive letter that was
mapped by Explorer, so it is using the 95 file name convention.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts on this...

Jamey

Jamey Crumpler                     (919)481-9797 x193
Senior Systems Engineer            301 Gregson Drive
Strategic Technologies             Cary, NC 27511
url: http://www.stratech.com

2. RAID in Solaris 8/9 x86

3. Solaris 2.5 and SUNPC

4. dsl under Redhat 7

5. Sunpc and Solaris 2.5

6. Seting up a mailing list

7. Mail to Web Gateway?

8. SunPC problems in solaris 2.5

9. max files open w/ fopen(), gcc2.7.2, C++ 4.1, solaris 2.5

10. ARP Requests by AIX (3.2.5/4.1) and Solaris 2.5

11. Faking va_list on SUNWspro 4.1/Solaris 2.5

12. Interoperating with Solaris 2.5 NIS+ and Redhat 4.1