Networking

Post by TDKN » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:43:55

I might have managed to get two SPARC machines from work.  Both SPARC 5s, with
10Mb Ethernet cards.  What hardware should I purchase to network the two
machines (prefereably something very cheap).  How would I build a home network
with a PC. Is there some hardware I can buy?

Networking

Post by chad » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:51:06

> I might have managed to get two SPARC machines from work.  Both SPARC 5s, with
> 10Mb Ethernet cards.  What hardware should I purchase to network the two
> machines (prefereably something very cheap).  How would I build a home network
> with a PC. Is there some hardware I can buy?

To connect the two sparcs together all you need is a crossover cat 5 cable with
RJ45 connectors.  Or you could buy a four port hub and connect the sparcs and your
PC to the hub.

Chad
--
Chad Oppliger - System Administrator
Lockheed Martin Technical Operations

Networking

Post by Vinni » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 01:25:41

Would the RJ45 connector between the two sparc machines allow me to set up a client server environment to be able to work with NIS, NFS, Automounter, Jumpstart, DNS, Routing, etc?

>> I might have managed to get two SPARC machines from work.  Both SPARC 5s, with
>> 10Mb Ethernet cards.  What hardware should I purchase to network the two
>> machines (prefereably something very cheap).  How would I build a home network
>> with a PC. Is there some hardware I can buy?

>To connect the two sparcs together all you need is a crossover cat 5 cable with
>RJ45 connectors.  Or you could buy a four port hub and connect the sparcs and your
>PC to the hub.

>Chad
>--
>Chad Oppliger - System Administrator
>Lockheed Martin Technical Operations
>CSSA, CSNA

Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com

Networking

Post by Noel Nihil » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:17:46

Quote:> Would the RJ45 connector between the two sparc machines allow me to set up

a client server environment to be able to work with NIS, NFS, Automounter,
Jumpstart, DNS, Routing, etc?
All the usual stuff works, although with just two machines
connected with an ethernet crossover it's hard to see
why one would need DNS or routing!

'Bye.
N.

> >> I might have managed to get two SPARC machines from work.  Both SPARC
5s, with
> >> 10Mb Ethernet cards.  What hardware should I purchase to network the
two
> >> machines (prefereably something very cheap).  How would I build a home
network
> >> with a PC. Is there some hardware I can buy?

> >To connect the two sparcs together all you need is a crossover cat 5
cable with
> >RJ45 connectors.  Or you could buy a four port hub and connect the sparcs
and your
> >PC to the hub.

> >Chad
> >--
> >Chad Oppliger - System Administrator
> >Lockheed Martin Technical Operations
> >CSSA, CSNA

> Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com

1. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address

Hi,

I know this newsgroup gets overwhelmed lately with questions about
PPP under Solaris, so I hope some of you still have energy to answer
this one.

I got the SunSolve Document infodoc/11976. In section 3.6 of this
document ( describing net-to-net ) it is clearly written that the
proposed config does NOT work if both parties share the same network
portion of the IP address.

So my question is, what has to change if both have the same network
portion of the IP address ?

Thanks in advance.

Bye.
David.

2. Ethernet Setup (Slackware)

3. How to use fwtk on linux with dual-network (Private Network + Network class C)

4. Setting up system to boot directly into X with XDM

5. Share USB printer over network Mac/Linux network?

6. Connection to Netcom from Solaris ?

7. Network statistic Network statistic

8. Digital Tulip PCI on Redhat 5.1

9. Iproute2 problem across networks using NAT and 2 internal networks

10. Networking 101 Part 2: Revenge Of Networking

11. Network sockets... without network!

12. network boot disk/root fs for networking

13. testing network card without being connected to a network?