Solaris 2.5: solstice Admin Suite ....

Post by Markus 'FvD' Web » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

The Admin Suite included in the server distrib of Solaris
2.5 is - as mentioned in the F install papers - complaining
about the missing licening server.

Is it just a warning or does this also include, that some
day the licence (demo) run out and I have to buy one.

If so (just a temp license), how do I setup diskless clients
(or something like this)? Where are the scripts?

FvD.

(Under Solaris 2.4 this could be done with the swmtool/admintool).
--

[ University of Karlsruhe, Markus Weber, Parkstr. 17, 76131 Karlsruhe,Germany ]

Solaris 2.5: solstice Admin Suite ....

Post by Rik Harr » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>The Admin Suite included in the server distrib of Solaris
>2.5 is - as mentioned in the F install papers - complaining
>about the missing licening server.
>Is it just a warning or does this also include, that some
>day the licence (demo) run out and I have to buy one.
>If so (just a temp license), how do I setup diskless clients
>(or something like this)? Where are the scripts?

The admin suite tool will work without the license:

   "Solstice AdminSuite 2.1 licensing does NOT deny service.  You can
   continue to use the Solstice AdminSuite 2.1 tools without licensing"
   (from the manual)

Every time you start a tool, it brings up a license requester, saying
that it couldn't find a license... just click "Ignore"

However, this software is almost exactly the same as admintool in
Solaris <= 2.4.  It has a Motif GUI, rather than OpenLook, and it
allows you to add new applications to the Launcher.  It still has no
hooks for running your own programs when (for example) creating a
user.  It still doesn't allow you to manage arbitrary NIS/NIS+ maps
(like auto_direct).  It is still very flakey.  I got it to segfault
within about 5 minutes of starting it (by trying to remove a user).

I guess we'll have to keep waiting...

(Despite this, it's still much easier to maintain serial ports in
admintool than the horrid command-line method).

Whinge mode off :-)

rik.
--
The Fulcrum Consulting Group       (note phone number change)          o

12th Floor, 10-16 Queen St. Melbourne VIC 3000.  +61 3 9621-2724 (Fax)

1. Solstice Suite in Solaris 2.5

After a normal "developer" intallation of Solaris 2.5, the Solstice
suite of admin tools did not seem to install correctly.  When I invoke
solstice, I get a window with no tool icons and the following error
message: "Solstice Registry Error [-14]: unable to locate registry."

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

2. Solaris Boot Up Question

3. Solstice Admin Suite 2.2 on Solaris 8

4. Notebook mouse and PS/2 mouse together?

5. jumpstart with solstice admin suite

6. sockets

7. Solstice Admin Suite

8. Help! How do I configure GCC?

9. How can I get Solaris Admin Suite for Solaris 8 (x86)

10. Solaris 2.3 to 2.5 and Disk Suite 2.0 to 4.0 upgrades

11. Is Solstice Backup bundled with Solaris 2.5?