printing--whats your solution

Post by Phil » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 13:03:26

Hello all,
I want to know what others are using for print servers on Solaris. Currently
we run Solaris 7, but printing is handled by an old DEC Alpha.
What I need to do is run printing with accounting scripts so that page
numbers can be tracked.
What is the rest of the world using? lprng ???
Any ideas are welcome, and well I would like to take this on with free
software in mind. Let me know what you would do.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 07:34:26

> Hello all,
> I want to know what others are using for print servers on Solaris.
> Currently we run Solaris 7, but printing is handled by an old DEC
> Alpha. What I need to do is run printing with accounting scripts so
> that page numbers can be tracked.
> What is the rest of the world using? lprng ???
> Any ideas are welcome, and well I would like to take this on with free
> software in mind. Let me know what you would do.

LPRng is a very good print server and will do basically what you ask,
not sure about page numbers.  Before installing it, remove the Solaris
printing packages; admintool groups them nicely for removal.  Record
the package names for posterity or in case you want to re-install them.

Set up apsfilter for your print filter.  See www.apsfilter.org.  It
enables printing of a vast variety of formats by converting them to
postscript then either using ghostscript for non-PS printers or sending
the output directly to PS printers.

Post by Aaron Peterse » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 04:59:53

> Hello all,
> I want to know what others are using for print servers on Solaris.
Currently
> we run Solaris 7, but printing is handled by an old DEC Alpha.
> What I need to do is run printing with accounting scripts so that page
> numbers can be tracked.
> What is the rest of the world using? lprng ???
> Any ideas are welcome, and well I would like to take this on with free
> software in mind. Let me know what you would do.

    We us a product called OM Plus from Plus Technologies.  This product
works very well for us because it can be configured so many ways.
I am very happy with the product and their support has been very good.

1. Whats wrong in this picture outgoing print data blocked

I've been trying to setup printing to remote printer from my linux box
on a local lan.  The remote machine is w2k.  I think I might have the
smbclient stuff setup right but my firewall is blocking the packets.

A sample looks like:

Feb 10 17:11:10 reader kernel: Packet log: \
output REJECT eth0 PROTO=6 MY.LINUX.ADD:1648 w2k.lan.box:139 \
L=60 S=0x00 I=16258 F=0x0000 T=64 SYN (#49)

This data is going to an address on my local.lan but its trying to go
out over my internet connection. (eth0).

I want to route it thru eth1.  I guess this a basic networking
question really, but I'm getting confused with hostnames and how to
send out data over eth1 instead of eth0

The address given to the print commands are a local addressess

When I traceroute or ping a local address, it seems to get routed over
eth1 without any special effort.  At least the wire connecting the
machines are running to eth1 NIC so has to be routing correctly.

2. Segmentation Faults - HELP!!!!!

3. Whats the trick w\ Advanced File & Print Srvr + Windows 95 ???

4. SWiM for Linux- fixed!

5. Printing solutions

6. URGENT!!! HELP!!!

7. Print server solution?

8. Maximum executable size? SIGSEGV for bss=0x2000000

9. printing solution pertaining to "official name" problem

10. Solaris printing solution

11. Print solution to replace Solaris x86?

12. best print solution for small LAN?

13. Solution: was LPD print jobs from AIX -> LINUX failing