adding a default route

Post by Chri » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to setup my redhat machine to masquerade my internal network
through 1 dinamicaly assigned ip by videotron.Before to start to config
ipfwadm I need to add a default route pointing to my eth0.Yes but how ?
the command and the switches used to create this *y default route
need to pass the ip as numbers.
Please help...

adding a default route

Post by Charles Esso » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I just set up IP MASQUERADE with version 5.2 and found thing worked best if
you had no default route. As you have nowhere to route packets if ppp is
not up this does make sense.

You can set a route under the Network Configuration. I had the default
route set to myself when I started and it only causes problems. I used the
Network configuration and cleaned out the values I set when I installed and
things improved.

I then set the two recommended iptwadm commands in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and
away it went.

The Network configuration is found under control-panel and is the button
with the connected computers on it.

> I'm trying to setup my redhat machine to masquerade my internal network
> through 1 dinamicaly assigned ip by videotron.Before to start to config
> ipfwadm I need to add a default route pointing to my eth0.Yes but how ?
> the command and the switches used to create this *y default route
> need to pass the ip as numbers.
> Please help...

1. Adding Route Add Default to Startup

I have a linux box running rather well, until I have to re-boot. When I
re-boot the machine, I have to type

route add default gw 130.160.xxx.x eth0

before the machine will access any machine outside the 130.160 domain.
Where can I include this line in my startup files?

Thanks in advance.

--
John Alexander
Manager, Area Computing Services

2. U of Illinois Linux Certificate

3. routed adds wrong default route

4. server sync

5. User PPP not adding default route

6. September SWiM Distribution

7. Where do I put `route add default gateway`?

8. SINIX runq-sz issue?

9. install adding default route

10. Installation freezing at "Add default route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" with NE2000 card

11. 3.0-R install / adding default route

12. Adding a default route at startup

13. PPP, route add default gw