Need Help Please from Linux Guru's for a dos oldtimer

Need Help Please from Linux Guru's for a dos oldtimer

Post by Ray » Sun, 03 Oct 1999 04:00:00

OK.  I'll admit.  I'm linux
stupid.

I've worked on several
operating systems over the
years (NT, OS2, CPM, TDOS,
etc),
but never anything linux or
unix based.  But I've been
wanting to learn linux......
So I get daring a couple of
days ago, and decide to
purchase a new hard drive and
a copy of red hat linux.
(wouldn't want to lose any
valuable info on my present
drives.)

I stripped my machine down and
installed the new drive (a
small 6.something Gb drive)
I ripped open the linux box
and jammed the floppy and cd#1
in.
I was utterly surprised when
the entire installation took
less than 8 minutes.  Win98
took
roughly 1/2 hour on the same
machine.  I was drooling over
the literature... but not for
long.

When I fired it up, it asked
for username and password, but
never seemed to leave the os
and go to xwindows or gnome or
anything.  hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I consulted tech support.
They say it doesn't like my
video card... problem... it's
built into
the motherboard, and I can't
disable it via jumpers.  I
tried installing a second
card, but the
system locks up.  shoot!

So I've got this beautiful
linux machine now, that I
can't even access the internet
download the file I need (it
is on their web page) to
update my system (SiS 620
video).

Now I could go in and get the
file via DOS/Windows... except
for two small problems:
1) the file is too large to
fit on a floppy.
2) even if I could get it to
fit....via compression or
otherwise, it would still be
in a win98/msdos type format,
and I don't know how to get
linux to read a dos based
disk.

I might be able to set up the
machine with both windows and
linux drives... but I would
be absolutely miserable if I
wiped out years of work on my
dos based drives.

(visit my web page and you'll
get an incling of what I stand
to lose - lots of technical
content!!!)
http://www.vvm.com/~radioray

What do I do now, Oh great and
wise counsel of Linux Guru's?
The life of my linux box
is in your hands.

I am familiar with working
within operating systems, so
if you could simply give me a
series of commands by which I
could somehow enter the net
without using xwindows,
I should be able to accomplish
the task.

Just in case you need the
info:
I am running a PC100 / BXPro
ATX system with 8Mb video (SiS
620 which can also
emulate SiS 530).  I have a
Celeron 400MHz processor, a
built in SoundPro HT8338A
sound card, a built in PCNet
HT2019 PCI Lan, and a built in
PCTel PCT789T 56K Modem.

Nice board... runs great on
98.  Wish I could make it do
the same on Linux.

Thanks in advance for any
advice / tips.

Please email any info to:

Post by DanH » Sun, 03 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I consulted tech support.
> They say it doesn't like my
> video card... problem... it's
> built into
> the motherboard, and I can't
> disable it via jumpers.  I
> tried installing a second
> card, but the
> system locks up.  shoot!

> So I've got this beautiful
> linux machine now, that I
> can't even access the internet
> download the file I need (it
> is on their web page) to
> update my system (SiS 620
> video).

Couple of ideas.  Text based ftp is a staple to UNIX, but to get there
you'll have to learn the hard way, text based, how to set up your system
to dial up and use your ISP.  This really is not a problem just a pain.

Option two.  use XF86Setup and get a WORKING display (generic vga or
such) and use that to get into X, set up your connections and get your
file.

Option three, get an LS-120 drive and download your file via WIN and use
the drive to put it on your Linux box.

Option four, take machine out to skeet range and use it as a clay pigeon
and get another motherboard :)

Option five, set up networking via command line and have your other box
as a router and ftp the file there like that.

Do you have a CD-ROM?  it's a LOT of a bit of a waste, but I'd be happy
to burn your file and send you the CD.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal *s anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

Need Help Please from Linux Guru's for a dos oldtimer

Post by Job Eisse » Mon, 04 Oct 1999 04:00:00

...> and I don't know how to get

Quote:> linux to read a dos based
> disk.

man mtools

Quote:> if you could simply give me a
> series of commands by which I
> could somehow enter the net
> without using xwindows,
> I should be able to accomplish
> the task.

If you have all your boxes connected via lan,
the easiest way might be to download on a
win98 pc, and ftp the file to linux.
The format is no problem, just make
sure the transfer mode is set to "bin" in
ftp.
                                -job

1. Calling all Linux Guru's - Please help a poor soul.

Hi there. If you want to send mail to me directly, please use
one of the addresses below, our router is a bit messed up.

Here is my system setup :

Compaq deskpro xl 466
20" philips monitor
24 MB RAM
Adaptech 1740 EISA SCSI controler
270 MB ide HD
300 MB SCSI HD
EXABYTE (5 GIG) Tape streamer
(Everything up to here works fine)
4 x 3.6 GIG SCSI disks  (2882,64,34)

Now, I have followed all the threads on large disks, and read the
README.ide with 1.1.81. I followed all the instructions from all
the different sources. Made the partitions on the disks. Ran mkfs
on them, and here it started giving errors. I remember reading
somewhere to ignore the errors, and did so. Then I copied a couple
of CD-ROMS onto one disk to test it, and WHAM, my system hung. No
problem I thought, and rebooted. When it came to the fsck section,
it gave endless errors, and went into single user mode. Then I manualy
mounted the one disk, and all my data was corupted. The only way I could
get my system up normaly, was to disable the mounting of the 4 disks.

I am running Slackware v1.0.2 with kernal 1.1.81.

Can someone please give me a step by step solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance.

--
                   ___
      ___....-----'---`-----....___

                                   Tel : + 27 12 311-4092
                                         + 27 825535878

2. Q: Linux does not see 3c5x9

3. oh mighty Linux guru's please help with Printer trouble

4. Help needed!

5. Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem..

6. Why? Mach64: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 80.000 MHz

7. Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem...

8. Y2K Server bug not NcFTP and Y2K issues on filename dates

9. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

10. attn: iptables/rate limiting GURU's, help me please!

11. PLEASE HELP: DOS drivers for LogiTech SoundMan Wave Needed for Linux Support!

12. Network guru needed, please help!

13. a brainer for the guru's, please help