USR WinModem Sportster 33.6 and Linux

Post by Brion Vibbe » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi everyone !

> Well, Is there a way to use my USR WinModem modem so the Slackware
> Linux 3.2 can recognize it ?

No.

Quote:> Is there a special driver or patche ?

No.

WinModems lack some standard hardware components and replace them with
software drivers, which are proprietary and only available for Windows.
Thus, it is not possible to use such modems with the following operating
systems: DOS, OS/2, Linux, FreeBSD, and in fact anything other than
Windows. Often even Windows NT doesn't work. Solution: Buy a new modem
that isn't a winmodem. (Rule of thumb: if it has "win" in the name and
it's not a contest, it probably works only with Windows)

USR WinModem Sportster 33.6 and Linux

Post by Wayn » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Suggestion worth a try! Do like I did and find a local computer shop that
rebuilds computers and sells used parts. Take all the goods you have with
your USR 33,600 to the shop and ask to trade for a modem with jumpers! Odds
are the shop builds most of their pc's with Microsoft so they'll be glad to
take your USR winmodem that configures easily with 95.
    I traded my USR Winmodem 28.8K for a Digicom (subsidary of Creative
labs) 33.6K for only $10 out of pocket. The main thing is you want to find a
modem that has jumpers you can change to set your com port and irq. *If the
modem needs software to set port and irq, pass it by and keep looking!*

                                            Wayne