PPP - More than name and password required

PPP - More than name and password required

Post by Brian Stringfello » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Trying to log into my ISP manually I run minicom entering my name and then
password. It then requires me to enter #2 to start a PPP connection. I do
this and do an Alt-Q to escape back to the command line where I enter "pppd
-d detach /dev/cua0 &"  (I read to do this at RedHat's "PPP Client Howto")

For whatever reason, it isn't working. The modem sits there for a little
while and then disconnects.  I'm running RH 5.1 and minicom 1.81

Any ideas?

Brian Stringfellow
Vista, CA

Post by Brian McCaule » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Trying to log into my ISP manually I run minicom entering my name and then
> password. It then requires me to enter #2 to start a PPP connection. I do
> this and do an Alt-Q to escape back to the command line where I enter "pppd
> -d detach /dev/cua0 &"  (I read to do this at RedHat's "PPP Client Howto")

"detach" is not a valid PPP option.

"-detach" is a valid, but fairly pointless, PPP option.

Quote:> For whatever reason, it isn't working. The modem sits there for a little
> while and then disconnects.

Could we see the debug log please?

--

  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

  # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
 ###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |

PPP - More than name and password required

Post by Andrew Fento » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Trying to log into my ISP manually I run minicom entering my name and
then
> password. It then requires me to enter #2 to start a PPP connection. I do
> this and do an Alt-Q to escape back to the command line where I enter
"pppd
> -d detach /dev/cua0 &"  (I read to do this at RedHat's "PPP Client
Howto")

> For whatever reason, it isn't working. The modem sits there for a little
> while and then disconnects.  I'm running RH 5.1 and minicom 1.81

> Any ideas?

I had the exact same problem. What was happening is I was entering
name/password then
what service you like (ppp/ipx/slip/etc), and _after_ that it requires pap
authentication. So
run netcfg, create a new ppp interface, select pap, add
username/password/select ppp
in the expect/send bit and then try it :-)

Hope this helps.

Post by Peter Flyn » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I had the exact same problem. What was happening is I was entering
> name/password then
> what service you like (ppp/ipx/slip/etc), and _after_ that it requires pap
> authentication. So
> run netcfg, create a new ppp interface, select pap, add
> username/password/select ppp
> in the expect/send bit and then try it :-)

I have a related problem (although I'm not using PAP/CHAP): I still
can't get netcfg to send a newline at the start, which my server
needs to make it issue the login prompt.

Anyone care to suggest how I can bodge netcfg to do this?

///Peter
--
DTDs are not common knowledge because programming students are not
taught markup.  A markup language is not a programming language.

Post by Jens-U. Mozdze » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> [...]

> I have a related problem (although I'm not using PAP/CHAP): I still
> can't get netcfg to send a newline at the start, which my server
> needs to make it issue the login prompt.

> Anyone care to suggest how I can bodge netcfg to do this?

> ///Peter
> --
> DTDs are not common knowledge because programming students are not
> taught markup.  A markup language is not a programming language.

I haven't used netcfg, but: can you tell it to expect *nothing* (perhaps
as two quotation marks with nothing in between, like ""? The response
then is your required newline.
This is how it works when you configure your chat script by hand :-)

Regards,
Jens
--

Schleswiger Damm 200                          | phone & fax
++49-40-5595175

1. Password-protecting a directory with no user name required.

With Apache is it possible to password-protect a directory so that the
user need enter a password only rather than a user name and password?
I'm setting up a Web site with a single password for access.  It would
be cleaner-looking if they only had to enter a password and not a user
name (which they'll all share) as well.

Thanks,
Steve

2. MAXTOR 88400D8 HD on ASUS P/I P55T2P4S Motherboard

3. Q: Does named requires a static IP and a registered domain name?

4. Linux as client to NT server

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Crack 5.0 on Aix 421.

7. ISP Requires System Password

8. Makefile help (IRIX)

9. cracking password required by an application run under HP-UX

10. User password required to reboot

11. Required Shadow Password S/Ware for 4.1.3

12. SSL Apache Server startup requires password on startup

13. Updating ports behind a proxy server, requires username and password